Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Frigidare washer not spinning. Wasnt draining, we found coin

Customer Question
Frigidare washer not spinning. Wasn't...
Frigidare washer not spinning. Wasn't draining, we found coin in blocking hose. Washer is front load, HE, I don't know where the model number is XXXXX
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Appliance
3/6/2010
Appliance Technician: Bryan, Home Appliance Technician replied 7 years ago
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
LOCATE YOUR WASHING MACHINE MODEL NUMBER
First, here are some tips to help with your model number:
  1. Don't enter a dash if it's not required.
  2. Don't enter any blank spaces.
  3. Be sure a zero is not the letter O.
  4. Be sure a lower case L is not a 1.
  5. Kenmore models always have a 3 digit prefix such as 110 or 665, then a period, then more numbers.
Next, look for an aluminum tag--or a silver or white adhesive label. The model number may be printed or stamped onto the tag and it may be written in two different type sizes or styles.

You might find the tag in one of these places:

Top-loading washer only

• Under the lid
  • On the back of the control panel
  • On the lower-front or side of the main cabinet body

Front-loading washer only

• Behind the door
  • Behind or on top of the control panel
  • On the side of the unit near the front

Top- or front-loading washer-dryer combination unit

• Inside the dryer door, on the door frame
  • On the top of the dryer
  • On the side of the washer, near the bottom, front
  • Under the washer lid
LTF2940ES3
ok where did you find the coins? this model doesn't have a screw type coin catch. also is the door locked when in spin?

sorry, got distracted for a few minutes.

I took detached external house entering what appears to be pump housing. I disconnected black Y shaped hose from other side of housing as well as a connection to the drum. I found the coin blocking the house from drum. There is a plastic catch in the black Y shaped hose. Once I did this the drum drained, but now it won't spin. Tries to spin 4 or 5 times in different directions then beeps. I did lay washer on front to get at the hoses.

ok my guess is there is still an obstruction in the drain system and its not fully draining so the pressure switch resets and allows this to spin, try filling it again and put the drain hose in a bucket to see how fast the water comes out, it should come out with great force, let me know , thanks Bryan
I will go try now, does it make sense that when we put it on the drain/spin it drains (I will check how hard) and then tried to spin (4 rotations left, 4 roation rights (repeats 3 times in each direction).
yes it would do that if the drum wasn't completely empty.
ok drained like garden hose for 20 seconds then slow after that. should i take it apart again on leg of black y is not hose clamp? do i neec to remove as well
I would check it again, its sounds like something like a coin or something else is still in the system and gets caught and slows the drain down,

ok, took it all apart again. and removed the large section of Y rubber hose. I was then able to remove the plastic catch. 4 coins, a few pcs of plastic. I removed, reinstall everything and it rotated left 3 times, right 3 times, but this time it did it about twice as many times, still not continuous rotation.

The other leg of Y that is going to about a 1" plastic pipe, is that the pressure valve?

no the pressure switch is in the machine part # XXXXX on this diagram, it looks like this, Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=it will have a rubber hose connected to it, if you take the top off the machine you will see this, take the hose off and blow through it into the tub to see if its clear, then try the spin, I need to sign off until the morning but will check back then, thanks Bryan
ok, if you are still up, where is 17 on the diagram, i see it called out on the side.
yes it should be mounted on the side wall,

Don't mind upping the $$$ but we are still struggling. I found the 1/8 inch hose off bottom of pressure switch. I also traced it back to one leg of the Y valve that had previously had the plastic filter with coins. It seems all is clear. What's next?

Fill Fine

Drains Fine

Spins 3 rotations one way, 3 rotations another, repeated about 4 times in each direction.

well I didn't want to go into other things until we check all the obvious things first , its starting to sound like the motor control board is bad, you seemed to have all the other possibilities covered from what your saying, the door is locked and the door lock light is on correct? then its has to be the motor control board, Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=this is $157.00 so i wanted to make sure all the bases were covered first, you can get this @ http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-LTF2940ES3-%3d%3di1191307&PartID=1191307 thanks Bryan

a1,

I thought you were out for the night so I did some more searching. many (4 others) are reporting the issue to be resovled with the "door lock switch/mechanism"?. error message shows as needs to replace control board but on Frigidaire units like mine that isn't fixing the issue.

Some cut and pastes: What do you think? Do you have part number?

"my washer had same problems, turned out to be door lock switch. around $75.00."

"door lock mechanism"

yes the door switch could be the issue , I thought we went over that but I guess we got side tracked by the coins and usually when the drain is clogged its what was causing the problem, this site has the switch for $58.00 , http://www.appliancepartspros.com/part_details.aspx?part_id=3886713&rdr=%2fpartsearch%2fmodel.aspx%3fmodel_id%3d5157229%26diagram_id%3d1261089 I'll do some more checking and might be able to find it cheaper, I'll get back to you, thanks Bryan

Bryan,

Just got back to it this morning. I am not sure reading other posts if I should replace door lock mechanism or door lock switch. Most seemed to replace control planel which did not fix and then replaced either mechanism or switch. Apparently there are two indicators one to let the washer run and a second safety to let it go to high speed spin. Does that make sense. Let me know if you think I need door switch or door mechanism. All other functions work fine

I believe the switch will do it, there are different causes for this but the switch is the most common, thanks Bryan, p.s. the switch and lock are on in the same.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician