Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

We have the 410003 double oven. Recently, we had a spill in

Customer Question
the top over and trip...
We have the 410003 double oven. Recently, we had a spill in the top over and trip between the glass on the lower oven. Today I took the door apart and cleaned the glass and have it put back together. The problem is when I loosed the screws the entire door came off. I am trying to figure out how to correctly seat the door hinges so that the door will properly close. Thanks for any assistance!!
Mitch Byers
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Appliance
3/6/2010
Appliance Technician: Bryan, Home Appliance Technician replied 7 years ago
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
can you get the full model #?
LOCATE YOUR RANGE/STOVE/OVEN MODEL NUMBER
First, here are some tips to help with your model number:
  1. Don't enter a dash if it's not required.
  2. Don't enter any blank spaces.
  3. Be sure a zero is not the letter O.
  4. Be sure a lower case L is not a 1.
  5. Kenmore models always have a 3 digit prefix such as 110 or 665, then a period, then more numbers.
Next, look for an aluminum tag--or a silver or white adhesive label. The model number may be printed or stamped onto the tag and it may be written in two different type sizes or styles.

You might find the tag in one of these places:

Cooktop/Range/Stove

Gas:

• Inside the cooktop--if the top lifts up
  • On the outside, bottom of the unit
  • Inside the top of the vent duct--if it's a "downdraft" unit

Electric:

• Under one of the surface burners, or inside the cooktop--if the top lifts up
  • On the outside, bottom of the unit

Gas or Electric Oven

• On oven side of the door jamb (with the door open)
  • On the lower drawer jamb (with the bottom drawer open)
The model number is XXXXX Kenmore Electirc Wall Oven
ok, when you took the door off how did you remove it? did you use the hinge locks?
I don't think so. There are three silver screws on the top side of the door, which I removed. Then, on both sides was a black L shaped plate. Each plate had 3 screws which I removed. Then the door fell off. I have put all the screws back in place. Just can't get it properly seated.
ok these hinges you need to set the hinge locks to remove the door, if you open the door and you will see these two little flip over locks, Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=you have to flip them over and then let the door come back up like your closing it and then when the pressure is of the hinges lift the whole door hinges and all up and out, then put it back in and all the way onto the pins in the oven, this video gives you an idea on how they come out, yours is closes to the second door he removes, click this blue link, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSzc4Uqbbr8 thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
OK, I watch the video and maybe I missed something, but I am not sure I have what he demonstrated in #2. It is similar, but I do not see any hinge to lock or unlock. Currently the hinge is at a 90 degree angle to the door. It looks like if I could get it where it was parrallel to the door, I could then slide it in. I don't see a pin or a lock and it seem stuck in the 90 degree position. Any ideas?
do your hinges look like the one I showed you above ?
No, the one you sent is round and the one I have is flat. I suspect I push something in to release its current position, but nothing is obvious. Thanks!
Do you want me to send you a sketch?

ok this is the hinge and it does have the lock on it, Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=its on the part on the left that sticks down the part that goes into the oven, its in the locked possition in the picture, I need to sign off for the night but will be back on in the morning to check, thanks Bryan

Edited by a1speedyappliance on 3/7/2010 at 12:49 AM EST
Byran, Yes we are getting close!! This is the correct hinge. The part that is visiable is the part on the bottom. Looking at the grid - and looking at the second column, it is in the 3 and 4th square from the bottom. In the third column, it includes the 5th and part of the 6th block from the bottom. and in 4 column, it includes part of the 6th block from the bottom. What specifically do I do to unlock it? Thanks for all of your help. Laughing
ok you need to pull down on the oven door and flip the lock back if its in the position that the one in the picture is in, thats the locked position, you can see how the hook is locked on the other part of the hinge, if its not locked you will need to lock it by flipping it back and hooking it like its shown, then set the door in on the pins and then open the oven enough to unhook them again, then it should close correctly
I am a little confused on your directions. Here is some additional info that may help. Currently, the oven door is off and the exposed part of the hinge is at a 90 degree angle to the door (vs the 45 degree angle of the illustration.) It takes quite a bit of force (like trying to step on it) to move it from its 90 degree angle. When I try to put the door back on the hinge straightens out when I move the door from an upright position to a horizontal position, but when the door is in a horizontal postion the hinge is in about a 45 degree position. Do I try to move the hinge before I try to put it back in place, or do I put the hinge into the slot and then do something from there? Thank you!
ok, your right it takes a lot off force to get this back to the 45 degree angle and flip the hinge locks back over and lock them the way they are shown in the picture, this can be very difficult since the door is off the oven and it can be dangerous to you fingers, can you set the oven door in the oven enough to use it as leverage to get the door down and lock the hinges? let the oven hold the hinge? if you can then you can lock them and then get the rest of the hinge sitting down on the pins in the oven and then open the door again and release the locks, thats the way you need to get this back in.
OK, I think I am getting a clearer picture, but it is not crystal clear just yet. As I understand it - I am going to set the oven door back in the oven door in its upright position - and then bring the door down (do I go all the way down or about 45 degrees or some other degree?). Once I have the door at the proper ange (and the hinge at a different angle), how specfically do lock them? Is there something I pull or push?
Thanks again!
I had a couple of ideas:
1) I can lay the over door on the floor and, with effort (pushing it with my foot) move the hinge to a 45 degree angle. However when I release my foot, it goes back to the 90 degree angle. Is there a way to lock it when it is in 45 degree angle.
2) I was also thinking about another approach. What if I removed the hinge altogether, insert it properly into the oven and then reattach the door to the hinge. Is this something that might work?
you don't see the way they have the door hinge in the locked position in the picture above? it has to be locked into a straight out position to get the door back into the oven correctly, this is frustrating because you remove it wrong so now the hinges are in a sprung position, you can try taking the hinges off the door and see if you can get them in first, not sure if it will work,
Yes, this is a bit difficult. My goal was not to take the oven door off. It basically fell out when I removed the screws listed above. If I can push (with my foot) the hinge from a 90 degree angle to where it is extended, will it automatically lock? I have push it with my foot pretty far, and it spang back, but maybe I just did not push it far enough. Your thoughts?
if there are no locks on this I'm not sure, can you send me a picture of the door and hinges?
Yes, I will do that. I may take a while to get this together, but I will send you pictures. Thanks so much!
ok your welcome, thanks Bryan
I now have several pictures, but they are too big to send through this website. Do you want me to send them to another email address?
I cant accept emails directly sorry, you will have to resize them in order to send them,
OK, I will have to figure out how to do this and I will let know as soon as that is complete. Thank you agian.
ok
graphic
well i got the picture but to be honest I don't see how this is suppose to lock, it looks like its in the right position to install, what happens when you put it in like that? can you go down with the door after its in?
Yes, I put the piece into the oven, move the door down, almost to the horizonal position. But for some reason, it is not properly seated in the oven. Though the oven door is horizontal, but the latch is at about a 45 degree angle.
I'm not sure why, this should go in, if you like I can put in for a refund and then opt out and maybe someone else knows, usually when we see someone doing a lot of replies we check the question and try to help but I don't think anyone knows for sure, you may need a tech to install the door, I'm out of idea's,
Don't worry about the refund. I appreciate all the help.
I really wish I could have done more though, sorry, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician