Craig
Craig, Electrical Technician
Experience:  33 years experience electrical troubleshooting industrial equipment and control systems.
21549903

i have a scotsman ice machine cm250, it is not making ice.

i have a scotsman ice machine cm250, it is not making ice. it will run during the harvest cycle but if you turn the timer(new one) thought to the cycle that it is suposed to make ice, it doesn't. I changed out the large relay on the circuit board, that did not help. suspect the power block with the relay in it, i don't know the real name for the part. ben Tstat looks ok. the appliance guy looked at it and said it was the timer, and that was it. please help, i can't just keep throwing money at it. thank you
Please check the condenser coil on the back of the icemaker to see if there's a layer of dust blocking the air flow through it. If there is, vacuum the dust off with a shop vacuum. Give the machine time to cycle a couple of times, and post back to me with the result.
John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience: 25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it is a water cooled unit, and it was cleaned when the service tech gave me the fine dianosis of the time. it really seems to be an electric issue, if the timer is turned to havest it work until it gets the ice macking cycle. Then it shts off. the tech checked the freon and pressure switches. There are three wire that come off the front side of the time blue (common) red (looks it goes to ben temp) and yellow( i think thats cube size)
Have you checked the sensor in the water reservoir? This sensor is the beginning of the freeze cycle and initiates the control to start making ice. There is a slot in the float that a photo eye senor is activated when the water level is full and ready to pump water to the grid for ice making. Check the sensor and clean it and make sure the slot it 'looks' through is not scaled over.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
this machine is over 20 years old, would it have on eye? i will check to see if there is a float or other sensor. thanks Tony
Take a look to see if it has one. If not the cube size thermostat is what to check and the timer microswitch. The timer and micro switch that the cam activates controls the whole thing. Have you watched the timer rotate? Does it activate the micro switch with the cam? If it's not moving rotate it a tiny bit CW to see if starts a cycle...

Edited by Craig on 3/4/2010 at 5:03 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it is a new timer, it does rotate in the havest cycle only, once it gets to the making cycle it stops. there is power going to the yellow wire on the timer that has power during harvest. if i jump power on the ben t stat it will run trough the ice making cycle i am leting it go through a cycle now, if that works it is probaly a bad ice ben tstat, what do u think?
Yes, I believe that is it for the compressor strat. I can't get the schematic from the manual but I think the 'Bin thermostat ' controls the compressor the cube size controls the timer and lengh of freeze cycle

Edited by Craig on 3/4/2010 at 6:07 PM EST
The compressor high pressure switch is in that circuit too. If the thermostat doesn't do it we'll check that too.
Did you press accept? You gave the accept to the first expert that opted out.

Edited by Craig on 3/4/2010 at 6:30 PM EST
I think that was meant for me. Press accept here and we'll refund that other one.
Craig, Electrical Technician
Experience: 33 years experience electrical troubleshooting industrial equipment and control systems.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX turned in a refund request for that other 'accept'. It will get refunded to your account. Thanks Craig