How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tyler Z. Your Own Question
Tyler Z.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 81221
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Tyler Z. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a GE Monogram Icemaker model ZDI15. This is an under-counter,

Customer Question

I have a GE Monogram Icemaker model ZDI15. This is an under-counter, stand-alone appliance. It is about 3 yrs old, we have cleaned it fairly regularly. But it now makes an awful sound during every cycle. Whoom, Whoom, Whoom.... for about 5 minutes or so. I've paid attention to the cycle, and it appears to happen just prior to dropping the ice sheet onto the wire grid to be cut into pieces. This makes me think it is the valve or pump that is continually adding water to the pan to make the ice sheet. The sound got better after we cleaned the appliance, but that only lasted a few days. Any idea if this is something I can fix myself?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
This means the unit is cavitating and running out of water. You will want to make sure you have good water pressure coming to the icemachine and if so, replace the electronic water valve. Turn the water off to the unit and locate behind the lower front panel the electronic water valve. It's mounted to the left side wall and here is a link to the part you'd need to order and replace.


Tyler Z. and 3 other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you, I've ordered the part. Is the installation self-evident? Do I need any special tools? If this fixes it I will be very grateful.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
yes, it's very easy to replace and just make sure the water is turned off to the unit first.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I received the replacement part, and pulled the old part out. However, they are arranged differently. The old bracket had the copper water supply on top of the valve. When the new valve is placed in the same way (with the supply inlet on top), the bracket now is on the wrong side of the valve, and facing down. I guess I'll try to attach everything and cable tie the valve somehow. I checked the old model: FSP Model 70 (part 5249A) 120V, 60Hz, 12W, 150PSI. The new one is of course the part you referred me to. The only apparent difference is 13W. This part will work OK if I can connect it OK?

Also, the copper supply line had a locking nut and the "nub" at the end of the line. The "flange" is preventing the copper line from seating in the female "quick connect" on the new piece.

--- --- ---
OK, after looking at it, I think that it's just the wrong part. Looks like I need this part 880067. Don't know why it costs twice as much, but I'm going to return the first part and order the new part.