John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company
22250861

I have a Maytag Plus refrigerator, model MBB2254G/MBB2256G.

Customer Question

I have a Maytag Plus refrigerator, model MBB2254G/MBB2256G. It was working fine yesterday but this morning we noticed it was not very cold inside and could not even hear the motor. What would cause this to happen? Is there an easy fix that the consumer could perform? We have only had the refrigerator for about 6 years.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
Does the interior light come on, when you open the door?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes. Lights in freezer and frige works.
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
OK. Thank you. If you're certain that the compressor is not coming on, replace the control thermostat. The part number is(NNN) NNN-NNNN and the price is $48.70. You can purchase the part at www.repairclinic.com.. Their phone number is(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The compressor? so what I refered to as a motor or what makes the frige hum is called a compressor? Is this a common issue for a refrigerator of this model where the control thermostat requires replacement?
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

The compressor pumps the refrigerant through the sealed system to produce the cooling effect in the fridge. Other than an air fan, it's the only component you will hear, when the fridge is cooling. The control thermostat turns the compressor on and off to maintain the set temperature.

John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience: 25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
John,

Thank you for the explanation!
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

Before you replace the thermostat check the thermostat first its number 24 and it could also be the defrost timer as well number 12 so don't order till these two parts are checked to make sure which one is the problem.