Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

whirlpool senseon dryer not heating, any help

?...
whirlpool senseon dryer not heating, any help ?
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/24/2010
Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Hi can you give me the full model number? should be just inside the door.

model: GEW9868KL0

ser: ML1802956

the dryer was unplugged for a sander to do some work, then when plugged back in, it did not come on at all. we flipped the breakers, and after a few minutes it lit up. but since then, no heat whatsoever.

Ok the most common problem is the thermal fuse part 59. Take the wires off and join them together then test the dryer if you get heat it's bad. To purchase the replacement part click HERE. if you have any other questions please feel free to ask. Mike
take what wires off?
The wires off the thermal fuse. you will need to take the panel off under the door. You will then see the thermal fuse located on the blower housing. Pull the 2 wires off and then join them together (turn the power off before servicing) once the wires are joined turn the power back on and see if the dryer works (has heat)
ok, i'm going to try right now, thankyou. then i'll let you know and click the accept answer.
Ok if you need some more help come back here :)
this may sound pretty silly - but how do i take the wires out of the fuse? plus there are these red circular pieces also coming out of the fuse??
Ok there are 2 wires one at each end. Just give the wires a tug and they will come off. Make sure you have the right parts. It looks like this graphic

when we opened the outer door below the dryer's door, we see a sort of triangular black covering and some visible wires to the right of this covering that join together with a clear plastic connector -- a black wire and a yellow/red wire entering each side of the connetor (with a green ground wire as well).

is this the wiring we are suppose to be looking at? or are we to take off the black triangular covering directly infront of us? or do we go back towards what looks like coils and red wiring?

the fuse picture you just sent, is not visible.

Where you see the blower at the front look behind there with a flash light. the thermal fuse will be there or at the front of the blower. It will either look like the picture I just sent you or like this graphic

i'm still not seeing it, do i take off this black covering to what i assume is the blower?

oh i think i found it, sorry. i took the wires off and now am trying to figure out how to join them...
No try this schematic. It is part 59 and mounted to the side of the blower housing part 44. it is white and only has 2 wires. There is a black part beside it with 2 wires.This is the part right next to it:Here is another view of the part you are looking for You should not have to take anything off to see this part

ok, we connected the right wires, still no heat unfortunately.

the coils should be glowing? if so, they are not.

Do you have an ohms meter?
no. i only have a regular voltage meter/detector.
Ok this is going to be tough without one. Does the drum spin even though no heat?
Yes
Ok let do this, go to the breaker panel and check the breaker for the dryer. the breaker will have 2 switches, flip both switches off then switch back on and try the dryer. Don't forget to hook both the wires back to the thermal fuse first :)
ok, let me try to put this fuse back together.
ok
ok, i think i got the fuse on correctly. unfortunately we took those litte metal connectors off to then tape the wires together , prob shouldn't have done taht. but i think we got it put back together properly and are not flipping the breakers...
Ok so you checked the breaker and all is good but still no heat?
ok, we flipped the breakers, and the heat is back on! why?
I have a feeling when they were sanding they used the power receptacle for the dryer and it overloaded the breaker.
but just for my curiosity....the drum still turned, the lights were one, isn't that mean that there is power - that the breaker is working correctly? why just the heating part failure?
Well the way the dryer works is it has 2 lines of 120v that makes a total of 240v. One leg runs the drum motor and heater (this line didn't blow) the other line just runs the heater, since this one blew everything else worked except the heat :) Mike
i don't want to keep taking up your time, ipromise last question....if i'm getting power through the socket (and we flipped the breaker already once to get that power going) why would the line just running the heater not work while the power is flowing, and now suddenly work?
Because when a breaker pops it may seem like it is ok, you have to turn both off and then back on to reset it. That is why I had you turn it off and on again.

thanks for you help. really appreciate it. have to say though, we turned the power off and on already at the breaker. the dryer then started up. i still don't get why we had to do the breaker a second time to get it to start heating. but regardless, i thankyou so much for your help and will pay you now!

jen

Thanks Jen, come back to this question if you have any more problems with it :)
Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Mike, Home Appliance Technician