Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have an old Kitchen Aid Dishwasher, Imperial 21. Model KDI-21AD.

Customer Question

I have an old Kitchen Aid Dishwasher, Imperial 21. Model KDI-21AD. Serial No.NNN-NN-NNNN ML 42120. It won't start -- like it is not getting power. I've checked the plug and the circuit breaker. Is their something like a rest button? Or has some electrical part failed. I doubt that it is worth repairing, unless it something real simple. Bill
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
it could be one of your door switches if it doesn't think that the door is shutting, the other option would be the junction box behind the kick panel. Remove the cover of the 3" x 3" junction box behind the kick panel and check the wire connections to make sure everything looks ok and if so then you either have a bad door switch or a broken wire through the door.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Can you link me to an operators manual for this appliance?
I need a diagram of the door switch so I can see how it works and try to test whether it is functioning.

Thanks, Bill
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
unfortunately because of the age of this unit, there are no digital records of a schematic so I'm not sure how you'd come by one since the only way to get a schematic is by film cards.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks you.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
no problem and good luck.