Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Good morning! IMy question is in regards to an over the stove

Customer Question
Good morning! IMy question is...
Good morning! IMy question is in regards XXXXX XXXXX over the stove Sharp R-1872 Microwave/Convection Oven. Earlier this week, I was warming leftovers (Normal time cook microwave functionality was chosen. No special settings, etc.) - after the microwave stopped the fan continued to stay powered on as if it was still microwaving.

Symptoms:
Fan runs constant

(Unsuccessful) Troubleshooting steps that I have taken include:
- Pressing the fan button, with hopes that I could move through hi/med/lo and eventually turn off.
- Pressing the Stop/Clear button repeatedly. :)
- Unplugging the unit for various lengths of time and re-plugging.

I would love you to tell me that there is a quick fix! I appreciate any feedback that you can provide.

Regards,

Monika
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Appliance
2/5/2010
Appliance Technician: Bryan, Home Appliance Technician replied 7 years ago
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
well unfortunately there is no quick fix for this.the relay on the control board is welded together and you have to change the control board to fix this,Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=the only one I can find is @ http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/showPart.pd?partNumber= DPWBFB061MRU0&productGroupId=0022&supplierId=575&brandId=x&documentId=50021468&keySuffixId=NA&modelNumber=x&keyId=3-1&pageId=00002&productTypeId=x&searchModelNumber=R-1872&subCompDesc=Control%20panel/door%20parts/miscellaneous&brandDesc=SHARP&modelDesc=MICROWAVE&blt=11 its $188.00 so you need to think about replacing the board or replacing microwave, hope this helps, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

Bryan,

Thank you for your "speedy" response! Cool

I have really enjoyed this appliance and am seriously considering part replacement.

I hope that you don't take offense to these next questions, but before I move forward with part replacement, I would like to have a high level of confidence that this is the correct diagnosis and a better understanding of the overall cost that I may incur by choosing to replace the part. I will make my decision to replace the part or buy a new unit, based on your answers to the questions below. With that said, I am asking you to be completely honest with your answers. It is perfectly acceptable for you to tell me that your diagnosis came out of a troubleshooting guide or that this is your best guess. I would rather make a decision armed with facts than to be unpleasantly surprised down the road. I would also like to solicit any additional information or resources that you feel would be helpful in making a sound financial decision. Thanks in advance! Wink

Follow-Up Questions:

1. On a scale of 1-5 (1=low, 5=high), how certain do you feel about your diagnosis?
  2. Was your diagnosis derived from professional experience or from an external knowledge resource?
  3. Is the part replacement something that can be accomplished by (most) anyone, if given a step-by-step procedures document? - If so, do you know if step-by-step instructions are included w/ purchase of the new part?
  4. If your answer to number 3 was "No" and a technician will be required...Can you give me your best guess as to what I could expect to pay a technician? Can you provide an estimate of how much time I could expect to be billed in labor for this particular part replacement?
  5. Can you think of any (hidden) costs that I may run into during a part replacement? Note: Examples of costs that I would expect to encounter would be cost of the part, tax, shipping...I am looking for costs that may come as a surprise to the home owner who is knee-deep in nuts and bolts only to find out that a "special tool" will need to be purchased to complete the installation.

Thanks a million for any input that you are able to provide!

Monika

after seeing you questions and going a little further I think this is definitely the problem as long as its the exhaust fan you are hearing and not the control panel fan. did you set the fan when you started this high, low, med.? if you did I would put question (1) @ 4this has been the case most of the time, but keep in mind what I said about which fan is running, (2) my diagnoses comes from my experience,(3) I don't have any step by step instructions on this but its located right behind the touch pad. (4) you can expect a service charge of around $80-$100 and he shouldn't charge you more than the price I gave (Sears) other places get up to $ 225.00 if they even have it, I would have the tech check this before ordering anything just to be sure, (5) I don't believe on the model it will require any special tools other than may a special torx bit that some machine have so a do it yourself cant open the cabinet, thats about all I can tell you, thanks and well wishes Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician