Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Why Whirlpool freestanding gas range oven is not heating.

Customer Question
My whirlpool freestanding gas range...

My whirlpool freestanding gas range oven will not heat, the stove top part works fine, the glow bar lights up but does not ignite the gas, how can this problem be resolved?

Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Appliance
2/1/2010
Appliance Technician: John, Home Appliance Technician replied 7 years ago
John, Home Appliance Technician

You may even see the orange "glow plug" (called a hot surface igniter) glowing orange and so assume that it's OK. Not necessarily. You have to measure the current/amp drawn by the igniter and compare it to this repair sheet before you can say it's OK or not.

The gas valve has a bi-metal that open when a certain amount of current flows through it to heat it up. The igniter is wired in series with the gas valve. As the igniter gets older or weaker, its resistance increases to the point where not enough current is flowing to the gas valve bimetal to open it up. As a result, the gas valve never opens up. BTW, a common symptom of the early stages of this problem is erratic temperature control in the oven due to delayed firing of the bake burner while cooking.

The hot surface igniter will not come on - check igniter with an ohm meter, you should have continuity through the glow bar, the glow bar can also crack = new igniter time. The glow bar comes on but the main burner will not light - you should have an amp probe to check properly, but often this is a hot surface igniter problem. The hot surface igniter often loses its ability to get hot enough to open the gas safety valve. The safety valve can fail, but most times it is just a bad hot surface igniter. The hot surface igniter can also quit part way through cooking, in other words the oven may cycle a couple of times and then it just sits there with the red glow from the igniter. See this service sheet for the proper way and amp readings for the hot surface igniter system. Hot surface igniters do weaken and will eventually generate less heat than they normally could. When this happens they can still allow marginally correct current to flow to the oven gas valve for it to open but not get quite hot enough to ignite the gas burner immediately.

When this happens, gas released into the oven can sometimes build up to the point where when finally ignited, the amount of gas lit can cause a small explosion inside the oven or cause an odor of gas with out the oven working. Yes, your glow bar igniter can glow orange-red and still be bad!! How a common gas valve works - click here.

Do you have any direct and simple answers and the A,B,Cs for repairing this problem?

The Glow Coil needs to be replaced, I can’t get you the part number without the model number but that’s the problem, take the oven floor out and pull out the bottom drawer you will see it on the gas burner.

John, Home Appliance Technician
John, Home Appliance Technician