Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Samsung WF316baw/xaa front load washer, doesnt seem to want

Customer Question
Samsung WF316baw/xaa front load washer...
Samsung WF316baw/xaa front load washer, doesn't seem to want to drain all the way. After the sping cycle starts, soapy water runs across the front door and clothes are still soaking after the cycle. We have to then run the spin only to finish it.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Appliance
2/1/2010
Appliance Technician: Bryan, Home Appliance Technician replied 7 years ago
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
you need to remove the back access panel and check the drain pump for obstuctions, you probably have something clogging the drain system, also you can run this without clothes,soap, and on hot water, put a small bottle of white vinegar in and run this several times repeating the proccess until all the suds are gone,this may just be a suds block. then run it with just hot water to rinse it out, do this after you check the drain system, pump, let me know if this takes care of it, thanks Bryan

Edited by a1speedyappliance on 2/1/2010 at 12:35 PM EST
We ran it again last night and it said "suds". We know we are using the right amount and the right detergent. SO, we are going to try your suggestions tonight and hopefully we will know something by tomorrow. Will get back with you then.
We have checked the hose....nothing there. When disconnecting the hose, a lot of water came out from the pump. Thought that was unusual. Shouldn't that have drained already? We have checked the hose thoroughly and ran clean water thru it and don't see that as a problem. We are running the vinegar in hot water now. Just wanted to give you an update.
Another thing we noticed while standing around, watching the washing machine; we hear a dripping sound. It has come to our attention that the laundry standpipe drain may be draining slowly. We actually pushed the hose down further and it hit water. Is that normal? Could that be causing our washer to drain improperly? My thought is that it would still drain but simply flood our laundry room. Your thoughts?
Okay, decided to run a fresh wash this morning. I HEAR noises from the pump. Sounds like change jingling around. Loud. When it tried to push out water, it was loud like gurgling and air. We have checked the hose. Should we remove the pump and try to clean it out somehow?
yes you need to pull the drain pump and clear it. and the drain pipe sounds like its clogged also , you need to clear that , let me know thanks Bryan
I found a nintendo dx stylus pen inside the hose that drains the tub into the pump. Removed that. Just got my first full load done and it DID drain properly. I am doing another load now and will advise, but looks like it might be fixed. Don't want to jinx it!
ok it will probably run ok now, thanks Bryan
Didn't work. Soapy and wet at the end of the wash. Any other ideas?
well it has to be either the pump is bad or the drain hose is clogged somewhere, take the drain hose out of the drain and put it in a bucket and see if the water comes out fast, if not replace the pump,

It comes out fast, the full diameter of the hose. I have noticed that if I pause the washer after it does it's "supposed" drain, then unpause it, it does additional draining and finishes out the cycle properly. It just doesn't seem to drain enough before the final spin. When we are left with wet clothes, we turn it to spin only and it DOES drain and spin out properly.....it just takes that extra drain.

YOu have been very helpful. I am about ready to give up. There are no appliance people in my area willing to work on a samsung because you cannot find the parts in town, if you do in fact need a part. I am getting the "laugh" everytime I tell someone what kind of washer it is. Seriously. Should I be checking for clogs elsewhere?

well its the drain that it drains into it sounds like to me, these have a set drain time and if it takes to long the clothes will be wet and not spun out, try snaking the drain and see if that helps, thanks Bryan
Okay, will do it tonight. I think your right. We have never heard "dripping" in the standpipe before like we do now, but I wasn't sure if that would prevent the washer from draining properly. My thought is that it would simply overflow. Anyway, that's where common sense gets me:)
well the washer may be pushing the water down but it needs flow freely, I think its a drain,thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician