Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

my whirlpool fridge keeps turning itself off (but freezer is

Customer Question
fine). If I turn...
my whirlpool fridge keeps turning itself off (but freezer is fine). If I turn it off at the mains for half an hour and switch back on, it comes on again for a period of time but then goes off again.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
1/16/2010
Appliance Technician: Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician replied 8 years ago
Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
The model# XXXXX sent does not go anywhere can you double check it please.
whirlpool ARC7470

Well from what you have said it sounds like there is a problem with the cold control.Did you get the model# XXXXX inside the fridge compartment?
yes i pulled out one of the drawers on the left and it was there
The controls for the unit are they digital?
no, manual
Do you mean the unit shuts down completely.The fan stops running and the compressor shuts off.
Yes, the whole lot goes off (except the light)
Do you know how long it runs for before it shuts down?
a couple of hours, then it goes off
You need to replace the thermastat.
where is this? and how do i do this?
It is behind the knob that turns the fridge on andd off.I can't get your model# XXXXX go anywhere so i can't get a diagram.So i'am not sure how you take it apart.But i would say there has to be screws holding the controls in place.
i have looked up the model number and serial number:

Whirlpool ARC7074

8501 747 15000

Does this help with the diagram?

I can buy a thermostat just need help with fitting
Where are the controls located?
on the back wall of the fridge (inside) has two dials for both the fridge and the freezer (min, med, max) and down one level it has the air control + to -
Are they in a box on the back wall?
no, they are just on the back wall and you can put your hand in and move the controls (dial) up and down
Can you pull off the knobs?
well i guess i could but they are welded to the appliance. The freezer is frost free and working, you don't this could be the problem (ice etc)
It is the thermastat that is the problem.There has to be a access to it.It is just screwed in.
Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician