Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

my clothes dryer wont heat up Ithink it is the thermal fuse

Customer Question
how do I tell if...
my clothes dryer wont heat up Ithink it is the thermal fuse how do I tell if its bad?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Appliance
1/1/2010
Appliance Technician: Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician replied 7 years ago
Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Check the thermal fuse for continuity.
if it is bad will it have no continuity or alot of resistance
It will have no continuity.You can always take the 2 wires off it and attach them together and try the dryer.
Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
now Im not sure if that is the issue I get 9 ohms of resistance when I check the heating element is that normal , i test the fuse and now it seems fine is it safe to run the dryer without the fuse
Yes it is ok to run the dryer with the fuse bypassed just to see if that is the problem.Check the voltage at the element.
bypassing the fuse doesnt make any difference the volt at the element while it running is 0

Remove one wire from the element and test it to ground for a 120 volts.Do that with both wires. What do you get?

with dryer off i get 114.6 from one and 0 from the other with them connected i get 114.6 from each side
The one you got 0 on follow it.It will lead you to the problem.Both wires have to get 120 for element to heat.
It goes inside undernieth to a transformer any ideas?
Goes inside where?
it runs from the element down to what looks like transformer of some sort right behind the exhaust housing

Are you sure its not the motor?

i cant see in there very well but ya I think thats what it is
Then that is the problem the motor is not sending power to the element.
what would cause that? one of the thermastats?
No the motor switch is bad.
Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Is that easy to replace once i get to the motor

Yes it is not to hard.As long as the switch on your motor is replaceable if not then you need to replace the motor.

Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
ok thanks alot for your help
You are welcome.
Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician