Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Help we have a Montgomery Ward upright freezer that is cold

Customer Question
but is not freezing....
Help we have a Montgomery Ward upright freezer that is cold but is not freezing. I defrosted it and it is still not freezing things. What is my next step and how do I fix this?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
12/31/2009
Appliance Technician: John, Home Appliance Technician replied 8 years ago
John, Home Appliance Technician

Hi thanks for the question.

Is this a frost free freezer does it have a freezer fan motor.

For the sake of asking a dumb question what is a frost freezer? I can here a fan running on it--not sure if that helps.
If theres a fan then its frost free.Can you feel frost on the freezer panel
Where would I find the freezer panel? I just opened it and there is some frost on the top shelf but that's all
If you have frost on the top shelf is the top shelf the only shelf that is cold yours is not a frost free freezer.
The top shelf is cold and the next couple down are cold but the others are cool and it won't freeze
Then your problem is a failed compressor and thats an expensive repair, all the shelves should be very cold.

Okay I went back out and checked them again and they are all cold.

You said you went back out to check. what part of the country do you line in is it colder than normal.
I live in Idaho and the freezer is in the garage. No it isn't colder than normal in Idaho. I am sorry for not being able to answer better. My husband normally deals with this stuff and he is with his dad who has been ill. Is it possible that it needs freeon or that the motor is blocked?
When did you defrost the freezer and how long was it off for , if its just been done the freezer will take 24 hrs to get back to normal.
I defrosted it Monday and it was off for about 4+ hours.
Are the coils colder at the top or the bottom or are they the same
The last time I went out they seemed the same
If it was a weak compressor some of the coils would not be as cold as the others, if theres coils at the back by the compressor ,clean those. I don't know if you do because the model number is XXXXX in the system.
Okay I am going to send a pic of the inside of it Maybe that will help us a little
graphic
graphic

I see , thanks for the pictures, now I know what you have, if both those cols are cold ,

real cold so your fingers get stuck to the coils then the compressor is ok, but if there not that cold then the compressor is not working at 100 % . and you said that theres was frost on the top shelf and not the bottom one.and thats a compressor problem.

They are cold but no my hand doesn't stick to them but it usually doesn't when I am in there getting things. Is there any way to fix it? I have a bunch of meat in there that I need to keep from going bad. Is there anything else it might possibly be?
Not on that freezer if those coils don't get cold enough theres no way to get that big freezer with those coils not getting cold enough so it has to be the weak compressor.
There is usually never frost on the bottom shelf of this freezer though. So is it possible that since the coils are cold that it could be something else?
Noit cant be anything else , I looked at the pictures you sent me , and thats what those pictures told me .a weak compressor.
how much would it be to repair it? Roughly
It would cost the area of $ 500.00., and that freezer is not very efficient, those two coils have to freeze that whole freezer without a fan to circulate the air. I would not replace the compressor.Sorry about the bad news.
John, Home Appliance Technician
John, Home Appliance Technician