Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

We have a GE Arctica Refrigerator Model #PSS25SGNABS. Recently

Customer Question

We have a GE Arctica Refrigerator Model #PSS25SGNABS. Recently we have had a hard time keeping the temp from being too cold. I have reset the interior controls to higher temps (44) but my temps still read 32 degrees, sometimes 28 degrees. My food has frozen at times and the water in the resevoir is also frozen. I'm trying to narrow down a diagnosis before calling for service. Can you please tell me what might be happening?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
this is a very common issue and because the display is showing that it's 32 or 28 then the computer and the sensor is working correctly because it knows that it's too cold. The issue is your damper. There is a flap in the top left corner in your refrigerator that is supposed to open and close to stop air flow into the unit. This is how the temperature in the refrigerator is regulated, but unfortunately the flap hinges will freeze sometimes and then the flap will be forced open causing the hinges to break. This will cause the flap to stick open forever. You will need to replace the demper assembly to correct the issue. Here is a link to the part that will need to be replaced.

CLICK HERE