Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Whirlpool microwave Model # GH5176XPS-0. It will

I have a Whirlpool microwave Model # XXXXX It will start, run a few seconds, shut off, and give a F-7 reading on the screen where time countdown should be. There is also a "clicking" sound while it does run.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
F7 means that the unit is not detecting the magnetron drawing power. Now you say there is a clicking? Discribe this clicking, how quickly and how loudly is the clickly and for how long?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The clicking is slow and not very loud. You have to be trying to hear it to even notice it.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
ok well the F7 like I said means that your inverter board isn't detecting that power is being drawn from the magnetron, that could mean you have a bad inverter board or a bad magnetron or even a bad door switch. F7 is not a good error code to have because of all the possibilities. It's probably best to have someone come look at the unit and track down which part is faulty. Microwaves are not safe to work on as they can store 3000 volts even when unplugged which is enough to kill you if you touch the wrong wires.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How much would those parts be? Is it worth fixing?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
it depends on the problem, if it's the door switch then yes it would be it's only about a $100 repair. If it's the inverter board or the magnetron you're looking at about $200 each for the part alone so it may be time to get a new unit.