Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Hi, my name is Victor - I have a GE Profile, model # PSS26LSRE

Customer Question
Hi, my name is XXXXX...
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I have a GE Profile, model # XXXXX SS; serial #GH420788, bought in June 2006.

Problem started: Ice maker quit making ice; water dispenser sometimes will work but most of the time, NO WATER - but there's a click noise everytime you try to dispense.The filter had been replaced inside the ref.

Found the freezer and ref warm - I took a temperature reading with a thermometer:

Ref - top shelf = 56degF; middle shelf = 54degF; bottom shelf = 52degF
Deli drawer = 42degF; Fresh drawer = 30degF; Sealed rawer = 10degF

Freezer - top shelf = 40degF; 2nd shelf = 18degF;
3rd basket drawer = 24degF; 4th drawer= 0degF; bottom drawer= -8degF.

I vacuumed the condenser grill behind the unit - no difference.

Please HELP... a senior citizen would appreciate you asistance.
THANK YOU.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Appliance
12/16/2009
Appliance Technician: Bryan, Home Appliance Technician replied 7 years ago
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
ok a couple of things you need to check , first behind the crisper drawer you will see this. Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=take a hair dryer and defrost this, its probably frozen its your chilled water resevior, then you need to change these. in the fresh food section, these are the temperature sensors, these are not working correctly, I'll be back with diagrams on locactions of these, thanks Bryan

Mr. Bryan:

The chilled H20 reservoir was defrosted; but my fridge and freezer's TEMPERATURE ARE DANGEROUSLY HIGH LEVEL; as of 4PM, twelve hours after I e-mailed you:

FREEZER'S 1st top shelf is 36degF Ref (F00D Section) Top Shelf=62degF

2nd shelf is 30degF Middle =58degF

3rd drawer is 26degF Bottom =54deF

4th drawer is 12degF Deli drawer=46degF

5th bottom is 4degF Fresh draw=38defF

Bottom sealed drawer=34degF

Do you think I HAVE A recall PROBLEM WITH MY MOTHERBOARD? hOW ABOUT EVAPORATOR FAN FAILURE? pLEASE HELP... IT LOOKS LIKE I HAVE TO DISCARD LOTSA FOOD! I'M ON A LIMITED SS INCOME (SENIOR CITIZEN).

I USED TO BE A HVAC TECH WHEN I WAS YOUNGER SO I CAN STILL WORK ON LITTLE THINGS SO IF GIVEN AN INSTRUCTION ON THIS REFRIGERATOR AND FREEZER.

THANKS AGAIN, BRYAN

VICTOR

can you tell me if the compressor is running? does it feel warm? the mother boards are bad in these but theres no recall on them, I didnt want you to buy one until we checked a few things, I sorry I wasnt on earlier I had my heatpump go out on me and had to fix it. is the evaporator fan running? is it whirling up and down? if so its the mother board, let me know I'll stay up for a bit, thanks Bryan
are you still on? let me know, thanks Bryan

Bryan: Re-Refrigerator -GE-Profile model#PSS26LSRE SS; serial#GH420788

I'm sorry, I wasn't get able to get back with you right away... my not feeling well (BP high) Frown

I followed you advised - I used a hair dryer/blower to thaw out the chilled water reservoir; after several hours... the water dispenser works and the temperature in the freezer/ref seems to be were it should be as per the thermometer, HOWEVER, the ice maker is still not making ice and the plastic arm lever is frozen.

You indicated that the TEMPERATURE SENSORS are not working correctly and needs to be replaced - you were supposed to email the diagrams and locations

of the temp sensors.

I noticed that there was a whirling up and down sound at the ice maker unit, but it disappeared when I turned the ice maker off.

If you'll send me that part number of the temp sensors, I will purchase and replaced this part and I will get with you so I can compensate Cool your kindness.

Thank you and I appreciate your help.

Victor (Dotdot)

hey Victor, sorry to be so long to reply, heres where you can get the thermostats.(sensors) click this blue link for diagrams and parts , http://www.appliancepartspros.com/partsearch/model.aspx?model_id=5218465&diagram_id=23791130#d23791130 hope this helps, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

Hi Bryan:

I will buy the thermostat part and will install. The ice maker still doesn't work, will it work after I replaced the temperature sensor?

Again, thanks... I'll keep in touch.

Victor

that is possible, the temperature has to be right for the ice maker to work, but there still could be an issue with that, check the fill tube going into the back of the icemaker and make sure its not frozen also. this happens a lot too, defrost it and let it run, thanks Bryan

Edited by a1speedyappliance on 12/19/2009 at 10:33 PM EST
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician