How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bryan Your Own Question
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 12156
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Bryan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Model GH9185xlq, over the stove microwave. Makes a quick raspy

Resolved Question:

Model GH9185xlq, over the stove microwave. Makes a quick raspy beep at startup and about every 7 seconds thereafter, when on power setting 10. Doesn't heat. At 50% power makes the noise only on startup and will heat, howerver the time needed is more than doubled. Bought a magnetron online and wonder if this is the problem or is it something eles. All other functions work fine. Problem is only heating.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
sure sounds like the magnetron to me, the diode will also cause this not to heat, I would replace them both, you cant do this without removing this form the cabinet though, and also these are very dangerous to work on, even unplugged they can deliver a lethal jolt of voltage. please read this carefully, CPSC Banner

Consumer Product Safety Commission

Electrocution Hazard with Do-It-Yourself Repairs of Microwave Ovens

CPSC Document #5061

The U. S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) warns against do-it-yourself repairs of microwave ovens. Each year, on average, four people die from electrocution trying to repair their microwave ovens. Microwave ovens use high voltage which makes it particularly hazardous for consumers to remove the cover and touch electrical parts. The possibility for electrical shock from a microwave oven still exists even after the oven is disconnected from the power source. Should certain internal devices fail, even unplugged ovens can cause serious injury.

The Commission strongly recommends that consumers have professionals repair microwave ovens because electrical appliances can be hazardous if consumers expose live electrical parts.



Removing the cover of your microwave oven and touching an electrical part can kill you.

Have a professional repair your microvave oven


please be safe and think about calling someone to do this, thanks, Bryan

Bryan and other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you