MASTER-TECH
MASTER-TECH, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years in the trade, lead tech in large company, always training on the newest technology
24031813

kenmre model#9743 compressor unnin/evaporator fan works/defrost

Customer Question

kenmre model#9743 compressor unnin/evaporator fan works/defrost timer+thmostac+heaing work does not prouce frost on coil only a little ice on end part of evaporator. what problem.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MASTER-TECH replied 7 years ago.
Can you resend me the model number and please put " " around it. They XXX it out if it looks like a phone #. Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Kenmore Model #'2539768423"

Are you saying that only one pass of the coils is frosted? Or is it just where the thin tubing goes into the larger one. About how old it this unit?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

yes it is the thin tubing goes into the larger coil up only about 5 inches long frosted. about 10 years.

It is going to be a sealed system issue. It will likely be the compressor. It will be about $400-600 to get it repaired. It maybe better to replace the unit. If it is a leak in the system it will need a compressor anyways because of the moisture in the oil. Check your owner's manual some Kenmore's had a ten year part warranty. I do not beleive yours does. The other would be a restriction in the cap tube(small one). The restriction is almost all of the system, compressor, evaporator and heat exchanger. If you still have food to keep go the the super market and get 3 pounds of dry ice. Restet the controls to normal and place the ice in the freezer.

Thank you...

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

that is to say timer+thermosat+heatng+temp control nothing to do with cooling?

frost everywhere at evapor coil is good sign for healthy compresor?

Yes it the compressor running and no heat from the defrost heater a full even frost of the coils is a good sign.

If the compressor is running at any time it should cover the coils will light frost in 10-15 minutes.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

refig problem of my kind is comprosor bad? right! since I have other kenmore 27 side by side frost only bottom layer a little that means throw it too?

Yes, If the model number of the other unit starts with 253 it will likely be the same issue.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks Sir. I appreciate your assistance to clerify my questions of my refig.
No problem. Glad to help thank you...