Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My Kenmore washer model number 26962 has started putting black

Customer Question
grease marks on our clothes...
My Kenmore washer model number 26962 has started putting black grease marks on our clothes. I noticed it first on our sheets. I had forgotten how long ago I bought the machine and hearing that machines are only built to last 5 years I figured my time was up. While looking up the information today...I noticed that I bought it just over 3 years ago. I thought Kenmore machines lasted 15 to 20 years...that is why I bought it rather than the GE Profile one I had that lasted 7 years. What is up? This is rediculous!!!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
12/1/2009
Appliance Technician: Bryan, Home Appliance Technician replied 8 years ago
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
can you get me the full model #? thanks Bryan

Ish! I found it on the back of the washer lower left corner! Good thing it is unhooked in the garage or I wouldn't have been able to help you.

Model 26962503

Serial : CT1941078

I'm very concerned because I have a new one coming tomorrow that I thought was a better and different brand. After getting home and discovering that I have only had this unit for just over 3 years and it is the same brand I might want to cancel my order and opt for a more reliable unit. Of course, Not sure what that would be, I thought Kenmore had a great reputation. I paid $499 for it 3 years ago and my old one seems to have the same features and be very much like the one I am buying today. I am about to buy the Kenmore Elite Oasis with the tall center agitator for $650. reg. $800.

I have had the models that do not have the tall center agitator and do not like the way it twists my clothes.

Can you tell me if the crease mark issue with my unit can be fixed and if so what should I expect it to cost me to have it fixed?

If I were to go ahead and buy a new one...what model and brand would you recommend?

Please call me if you can...I have to leave the computer...and I meant GREASE marks. It has ruined over $200 in clothing.
My phone is XXX-XXX-XXXX
i'm sorry its against policy to contact customers by phone, if you send me the model # XXXXX'll see what the problem is, look in these places,
LOCATE YOUR WASHING MACHINE MODEL NUMBER
First, here are some tips to help with your model number:
  1. Don't enter a dash if it's not required.
  2. Don't enter any blank spaces.
  3. Be sure a zero is not the letter O.
  4. Be sure a lower case L is not a 1.
  5. Kenmore models always have a 3 digit prefix such as 110 or 665, then a period, then more numbers.
Next, look for an aluminum tag--or a silver or white adhesive label. The model number may be printed or stamped onto the tag and it may be written in two different type sizes or styles.

You might find the tag in one of these places:

Top-loading washer only

• Under the lid
  • On the back of the control panel
  • On the lower-front or side of the main cabinet body

Front-loading washer only

• Behind the door
  • Behind or on top of the control panel
  • On the side of the unit near the front

Top- or front-loading washer-dryer combination unit

• Inside the dryer door, on the door frame
  • On the top of the dryer
  • On the side of the washer, near the bottom, front
  • Under the washer lid
thanks Bryan
I sent you the model number on the white sticker on the washer. If this is not the correct number, I don't know what to tell you. Guess I will have to forget it as I have physical pain that will not allow me to look any further.
ok I think I found it, it starts with 110 I think, your transmission gearcase is leaking oil, Part 423the are expensive though $160.00 plus its labor intensive if your pain is bothering you that much you may want to call for service on this, thanks Bryan

Response was too slow...The purpose of my question was to determine wheather to cancel my washer that was coming for delivery in two days. My question shouldn't have needed detailed model information as several women I talked to about my washer all said the same thing you did and they didn't need a model number. Sorry...

Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 8 years ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

these black spots are not oil from the gearcase ,In fact it is not an issue with the washer at all .

It is the fatty acids( Grease) in your laundry detergent it is not dissolving properly.

Which normally means the customer is using a regulate temperature detergent, but using cold water wash and the water is not hot enough to dissolve the detergent.

If you are using cold water ,you need to use a cold water detergent.

And if you do not use cold water ,it means you are using to much detergent and it sudses up and leave detergent on the clothes during and after the rinse cycle.

Hope this help ,but if it is not too late you do not need a new washer ,just clean this one and use either the correct detergent or the correct amount.

Master Tech
Master Tech