Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Napoleon GD45 gas fireplace that will light and stay

lit but won't light the...
I have a Napoleon GD45 gas fireplace that will light and stay lit but won't light the whole burner tube? It does't seem to go on High...
12/1/2009
Craig
Craig, Electrical Technician
IT would be my bet that the gas valve is not opening fully and causing low pressure and volume. Try giving the valve a good tap and see if you get a response with more flame. It might be time for a new gas valve. The igniter for this, is it a glow bar or electronic? A weak igniter bar can cause low current to the gas coil.
I have already tried to tap the valve several times and no change, this unit is 6 years old and has about 200 total hours on it with 180 coming from a ice storm in northern New York last December where it ran great for 7 days heating my house. The unit is a milli volt system with a standing pilot so I can use it when the power is out.
I would suggest that the main gas valve is not fully opening. To know for sure you need to measure the 'thermopile' (thermocouple) with a DC millivolt meter. If it is not producing the needed millivolts necessary to power the gas valve, it may open partially. If it has a good output, then it's the gas valve. I would suggest 250 millivolt depending on what the number on your thermocouple has.
I have just measured the output and I only get to 215MV on both the low and high setting. Do you think this is it? I will get a new one tomorrow and try it.
That could be ok, is it right directly in the pilot flame? That reading is pretty good. Seems like a good output from thermopile. It could be the gas valve not getting open all the way. Could you get a number off the thermo? I'm leaning towards the gas valve....
Craig
Craig, Electrical Technician
I will take this out today after work and see what I can find. I will try a new one for the heck of it before going for a valve. I will not tie you up anymore and apprietiate everything to this point, Thanks Bill
Craig
Craig
Craig, Electrical Technician