Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My Maytag Atlantis Model# MAV7257AWW serial# 10617886ZF will

My Maytag Atlantis Model# XXXXX serial# XXXXX will fill with water but will not agitate or drain. I know that the agitator is cracked. I had a repairman in and he said it couldn't be fixed. Is that a correct diagnosis? I'd like to make sure of because I have two in college and my budget didn't include a new washer. Thank you. Pat
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
can you hear the motor trying to start? almost all the time in these its the lid switch . did he test that or try a new one?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
When I turn the dial to spin I do not hear anything but when I turn on wash it will fill. Did you mean that I should run it full cycle?
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
well these will fill with water but if the switch is bad it wont agitate or spin.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How can I access the switch to check it? I am a novice at this.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
there should be 4 screws along the top of the control panel remove them and tip the contropl panel forward it behind the control panel. its part # XXXXX on this diagram, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Looks like only 3 screws. I am removing now.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Looks like only 3 screws. I am removing now. Is their a way to test it?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Looks like only 3 screws. I am removing now. Doesn't look like the part in diagram. I am going to run a cycle. Last time it didn't evacuate the water. Another issue?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The washer is agitating somewhat weakly. When spinning, I'm getting a rubber smell and no evacuation.

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok so the motor is running in spin and agitate? you proably nee to check the belt and the drain pump. with the machine empty tip i back against the wall and roll the belt off, then turn the pump by hand and see if its hard to turn, if the pump turns easy and the belt is not burned up then the transmission is the problem and this is an expensive job, hope this helps, well wishes Bryan