Neilwill
Neilwill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  10 years experience appliance repair and installation
25067054

Kenmore Oven's Door Locked Light Is Blinking.

Customer Question

Kenmore 790-90922400 range oven 'Door Locked' light is blinking.

Holding down unlock button does not make it unlock.

Is there some other key sequence I must use to get it to unlock?

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Neilwill replied 7 years ago.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
The door is locked closed or is the door locked open and you cannot shut the door?
Both can happen.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The door is locked OPEN
Expert:  Neilwill replied 7 years ago.

My oven is locked. If the door is opened and the door lock mechanism is locked,

To deal with this, open the door and locate the door switch plunger. You will need to push and hold the door switch plunger in continuously while you press the 'Stop/Clear' button and wait for the door lock mechanism to fully lock and unlock before you release the door switch plunger.

You may have to select 'Clean', wait one minute and then press 'Stop/Clear' while pushing and holding the door switch plunger in until the door lock mechanism fully unlocks.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I don't understand how to "Select Clean".

I held down the door detector switch while 'Stop Clearing' and the light stopped blinking but the light is still on and it still won't let the door close.

Expert:  Neilwill replied 7 years ago.

Start self clean, the door automatically will auto lock and "locked" appear in the display. Then hit "Off" to clear it and stop the cleaning cycle. The door then should unlock as normal!

If this does not work for you go to the house breaker box and turn off the power switches to your oven for 5 minutes.
This resets the system. But usually the self clean on and then off unlocks it!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I don't understand how to unlock it in general. The blinking has stopped but it still shows a steady "Door Locked" light.

If I take the self-clean route, how do I start the self clean? I've already tried holding down the clean button.

Expert:  Neilwill replied 7 years ago.

Click green link below.

Manual go to page 18 and there are the self clean instructions to start the cleaning and stop it.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Doesn't work. Pressing Select/Clean does not make "---" appear in the display. In fact, it does not even make the machine beep like it used to. Is the keypad locked?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I got it I think:

-Jammed a toy in that allowed hands-free door plunger hold-down using the pressure of the door on it

-Turned breaker off for ten seconds and back on

-SET THE CLOCK ON THE OVEN (seriously, required)

-Held Stop/Clear for three seconds

I'm testing the oven now to see if it works...
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Now I've got a minor problem...

The door now almost-closes but hangs open a half-inch. The lock is retracted and the oven runs, but it warms the room up.

What's holding it open? Can I fix it by reseating the hinges a certain way?
Expert:  Neilwill replied 7 years ago.
I hope the Jammed in toy did not bend the hinges.

Open the door and locate the door switch plunger. You will need to push and hold the door switch plunger in continuously while you press the Stop/Clear button and wait the door lock mechanism to fully lock and unlock before you release the door switch plunger.

You may have to select Clean and wait 1 minute and then press Stop/Clear while pushing and holding the door switch plunger in until the door lock mechanism fully unlocks.

I would recommend checking to see if the door latch for the self cleaning cycle is in the way of the door closing completely. If the lock latch is preventing the door from closing securely, try starting a self cleaning cycle for about 1 minute & then pressing cancel. This will retract the door lock allowing the door to close securely.