How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RUSS Your Own Question
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 3666
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
RUSS is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have a Meyers/GE Motor water pump Model 5kc36hn2934ax. It

This answer was rated:

i have a Meyers/GE Motor water pump Model 5kc36hn2934ax.
It is not pumping, just humming. I want to change the capacitor but can not find a diagram - ie i can not see it inside the pump.
The cap is under the end cap on the mooter however this can be a stuck centrifugal switch, take a nail file after killing prower and clean the contact points on the smirch in the end cap and make sure it can move as needed in and out.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Where would the centrifugal switch be? I replaced the pressure swtich already.
it is baack under the end cap near the shaft area. it has weights and spdings and a set of points to make contact
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i will go take a look. spdings?

oops springs


Customer: replied 7 years ago.
can we continue talking after I accept? I have found a capacitor. it is about 3 inches tall and about 1.5/2inches diameter. I have read that some pumps only have one capacitor that can be replaced instead of a Start and Run.
this is a run cap, it has a start swirch that is the one i was speaking to you about wiht the points. this engages the run windings after it starts.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I can see where the leads from this capacitor attach to the motor mechanism - haven't seen the switch. It is just spade plugs on the ends of the leads. Will look closer.


Where would the Start capacitor be? Can I send you a pic via this system?

the switch is wrapped around the motor shaft
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

ok, i saw where the leads to the pressure switch are attached to the motor, these where at the bottom of motor. the capacitor that i was talking about was connected to a rectangular box that was at the top of the motor. i will go back and turn the motor to see if it moves.


i have been using this website as a guide. It says that the capacitor i was speaking of is the Start one. I have disconnected it. It is corroded at the contact points.

You can take the cap to a parts store and have it checked, there is a simple test using an analog ohm meter
RUSS and other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I need to get an analog and digital meter :)


I found some contact 'switches' inside that rectangular box i described earlier. I cleaned to contacts with a nail file as you said. I will get this capacitor replaced and hopefully it will work like a charm afterwards. thanks for your assistance.

you are very welcome make sure the wire connectors are clean and bright, if not replace the connectors as needed