John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a GE 500 dishwasher that leaves crumbs all over the

Customer Question

I have a GE 500 dishwasher that leaves crumbs all over the dishes even when I thouroughy rinse everything and load properly.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

Hi thanks for the question.

Please send me the complete model number so I can help you better.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
We just bought the house so we didn't buy the d.w. The front of the D.W. just says 500. When I open it there is a label and it says GE Built-In Dishwashers GSD530TWW, GSD500TBA/WA/AB/AW Smaller Print: Part No. 206C1422P001

Hope this helps
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
Does it leave water in the bottom when finished a load.Is there a long screen at the back of the tub on the floor.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I do not believe that water is at the bottom at the end. There is a raised box, maybe 2" high that has little square cut outs all the way around
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=a9b3i821081&PartID=821081

Remove that screen and look for this part .Its in the middle and it unscrews, If its dirty or worn could cause the problem.Also clean in front of the door where it meets the tub It gets dirty at that location and can cause the problem as well.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I finally found a plyers to take the screen off and there was nothing that slightly resembled the part you showed to clean/replace. There was a wider tooth screen (rectangles of plastic) with a reservoir of water sitting in it. There were a couple small labels and small pieces of plastic I fished out. When I was down and "in" the dishwasher, I found what may be a more official model number which I can give you. It is: GS1500T-55WA The "T" might be a 1 or the letter I.

the model numbers I gave you before were from the top of the door. Maybe this is different? I don't know. Thanks.
Kera
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

Is this what you have. You looked at 506.

Those pieces you found in there could cause the problem your having.And that part I sent you is not for your model

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
so that's it? didn't really solve the problem as there are still crumbs. :( guess i just need a new dishwasher?
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

If you still have the problem , Look in front of the door where it meets the tub.It gets dirty at that location.If it is dirty clean that out.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
you mean at the bottom of the door? Looks very clean to me. The previous owners were quite neat and clean...
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

http://www.summitbrands.com/brands/Dishwashermagic.aspx

Its not a replacement of the d/w you need ,Just clean it out And if the previous owners were clean you woud not have crumbs. Use this product it works great I think thats all you need .

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I will buy a couple of bottles of this stuff. Thanks. Just to verify a couple things before we sign off: 1. Is it okay that the little reservoir under the two screens had water in it? 2. When you said "front of the door where it meets the tub" did you mean the base of the door or the bottom of the door? Thank you.
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

In front of the door wher it meets the tub when the door is closed.

And that water is ok It should be there.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your help. I hope the dw magic works!
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

Ita very good for that problem.

Thanks and Good luck