Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

We had severe power surges on Friday due to a faulty Neutral

Customer Question
line from the power company...
We had severe power surges on Friday due to a faulty Neutral line from the power company, since then our ge profile energy star s/s side by side, 25.5 cu.ft frigerator does not make ice, temperatures keep fluctuating on both the freezer and frig side, there is ice build up on the freezer side and periodically condensation (not sure) on the freezer side where it is water dripping not ice build up. The home is only 3 years old and the ge profile less than 3. The model is pss26nstass. All other appliances were fried, electrician checked, there is power but they are inoperable. The surges were so severe they fried master surge power strips and burnt the flooring. Will this be an never ending problem or should we fight for replacement. power company has "amnesty" from any claims, so we must use our homeowners for everything. The surge even fried the inside of the verizon cable box and blew out 4 transformers on the heating/ac unit, which have now been replaced, but by fans on those units are loud and. House temps show at 70, but unit is coming on set at 67.(?) Garage door openers fried so bad the garage still smells. Who should be get to inspect (thoroughly) all electronic components? I am afraid of the life expectancy being shortened, but more so of other problems that could lead to a fire. Intercom and security systems were also fried, and all electronics plugged in the walls. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Sharon
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
11/17/2009
Appliance Technician: Bryan, Home Appliance Technician replied 8 years ago
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
this sounds like the electronic mother bard is probably damaged, Main Control Board WR55X10942 - Click Image to Closethere may also be damage to the ice maker itself, (this is electronic also) these refrigerators are filled with electronic controls, you may be better off getting a replacement at this point to be safe. there is something you can do to stop the power surges in the future, you can put a power surge protector right on your breaker box now, click this blue link. http://midwayparts.net/midwayparts/zen-cart-v1.3.8a-full-fileset-12112007/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=18&products_id=182 these are great units and will stop the power surges, hope this helps , thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician