How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tyler Z. Your Own Question
Tyler Z.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 80359
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Tyler Z. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We just bought an older condominium, built in 1980. It has

Resolved Question:

We just bought an older condominium, built in 1980. It has a GE trash compacter but I can't find any serial numbers or other identifying information on it. The compacter compartment is cylindrical in shape. We would like to replace or repaint the front door of the unit if possible and wonder if other door styles are available or if it's possible to remove the front panel without creating a problem. In addition, how old is this compacter?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
unfortunately this unit is much to old to have any parts available for it. These GE compactors haven't been made in almost 30 years. The doors on these units weren't intended to come off since they hinge to the side instead of pulling straight out.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is it feasable to try and spray paint it with the door left on the unit?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
yes, just make sure to tape the unit off very well.
Tyler Z. and 2 other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you