Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

90 series clothes dryer, approximately 9 years old, suddenly

Customer Question
stopped heating. Also, simultaneously, the...
90 series clothes dryer, approximately 9 years old, suddenly stopped heating. Also, simultaneously, the warning chime stopped working, the dryer started automatically after making a selection upon closing the dryer doo instead of starting when the "Start" button was pushed. Is this a computer chip, "CPU" malfunction? If so, or not, can the dryer be repaired?

Thanking you in advance,
J Hilsenbeck
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
11/1/2009
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 8 years ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
the dryer can be repaired first of all but you are going to have multiple problems so you will either want to replace the unit or call a technician to your house to see all the damage done to the unit.

You're exactly right, your start button is shorted which is what caused your other problems. When the start button shorts out it continuously sends 16 amps to the motor to start it (even though it's running and should drop to about 3 amps). Sending that much power through the circuity for a sustained amount of time will short components out. You will definitely need to replace the start button. You may also have a bad timer, heater, or both since the power was pulling so much power through those components. This would be the reason the unit is no longer heating.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc