How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tyler Z. Your Own Question
Tyler Z.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 81847
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Tyler Z. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an 18 inch Kitchenaid trsh compactor with custom front

Resolved Question:

I have an 18 inch Kitchenaid trsh compactor with custom front to match my cabinets. The motor just burned out and I would like to repplace it if possible rather than buy a 15 inch which is available now only. Is that possible? If not do you know of a website for discontinued appliances?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
There is only one company that still make an 18" trash compactor. Viking is the only one left that makes an 18" model. As far as getting discontinued parts... Craigs list and Ebay are about the best options which it sounds like you've already tried.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
And that I already know. Is it possible to buy a new motor to replace in the existing compactor?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
that is not possible unless you get very lucky with someone parting out their old appliance on Ebay or Craig's list. And since all of the Kitchenaid 18" models are so old---it's relatively impossible. They haven't made the motor in over 15 years, and the appliance is probably roughly 30 years old.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I did find one that is 12 years old that does work but the condition is not good so I only want to switch the motors. If you say a technician can do that I will buy it. I did not want to buy and then find out it can nto be done.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
if it is also a kitchen aid 18" model then yes it can be switched. Kitchen Aid didn't change their model for the 15 years they made the 18" compacter---every year they made the same unit.
Tyler Z. and other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you