Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I was working with Larry yesterday on a MTF2195AE Maytag refrigerator.

Customer Question
I have problems with cooling...
I was working with Larry yesterday on a MTF2195AE Maytag refrigerator. I have problems with cooling both the freezer and refrigerator sections. The freezer and refrigerator settings are set correctly. The freezer never really freezed food to a very cold temperature, with most food just barely frozen (like ice cream). The food in the freezer eventually started to melt and the refrigerator started to warm up.

Larry suggested that I take the back panel out of the freezer. I did this and notice ice build up on a copper line on the right side. I chipped the ice off and then let the freezer run over night. I put some things in the freezer to see if would freeze. I checked this morning and found ice buildup on the copper line. The freezer is colder but the items did not freeze. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
11/1/2009
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 8 years ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
If you're just getting build up on one side but not the other side (accross all the silver evaporator coils) then you have a sealed system issue and this isn't something you can fix. If your compressor is inefficient or you loose freon, or there is a restriction in the sealed system, you will experience this issue. You must be certified to work on freon systems so you will need to call a technician to come take a look at your unit. Sometimes, if you look in your manual the unit will have a 5 year warranty on the sealed system so find out that first. If you don't have a warranty, repairs start at about $300 and go up to $600.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
There is no buildup on the silver evaporator coils. The ice buildup in on copper tubing that has been covered by a thick black insulator material (almost the consistancy of rubber).
I understand that, that is why I am saying you have a sealed system issue.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc