Dave
Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  34 years experience as a repair technician
20703114

I just installed a kitchenaid down-draft cooktop exhaust fan

I just installed a kitchenaid down-draft cooktop exhaust fan about a week ago. This is the type fan that you push a button and the exhaust panel raises up from the counter and when finished you push a button and it lowers back into the counter. Everything worked on install and I had not used it since. tried it yesterday and found the 800ML/250v fuse had blown. Replaced with a 750ML/250v fuse (all I could find)and the unit raised, fan worked, lowered and then the fuse blew again when attempting to raise. It's done this twice. The only odd thing that happended recently is the power company turned the power off to the house for several hours this week after install.

Does anyone have an idea whats going on?

Thanks,

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.
It may be binding on the way up. What is the model number?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
KIRD861VSS-1
Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.
If you look at the amp rating on the vent, voltage amperage, what does it say?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I noticed 120V 60 HZ 3.6A

Thermally protected to 400W

Also, I now noticed a sticker (which i didn't see before) that the fuse should have been replaced with a 800ML/125v fuse, even though the original was 250v.

Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.
That is a stronger fuse, try that. You should be able to get it at Home Depot, Lowes etc.