Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Help, Garage door opener Craftsman #139.53910D will not lower

Customer Question
Help, Garage door opener Craftsman #139.53910D...
Help,
Garage door opener Craftsman #139.53910D will not lower door.
The motor just hums a few seconds and then shuts off when button is pressed.
Thanks,Dick
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
10/12/2009
Appliance Technician: Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech replied 8 years ago
Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Hi Dick....Try pulling the the release on the trolly assembly(Door release)...Then try opener...You should be able to see the chain move back and forth....

I did that.

Chain doe's not move.

Motor just hums a few seconds and then shuts off.

The long part of the Chain is slack and the short part of the chain that runs around the sprocket and connects to the cable is under pressure.

Sounds to me like your motor is bad...Or the chain is misaligned...You would have to remove the chain to see if the motor will spin....But most likely the motor is bad...

graphic

The motor is not bad.
The only way to find out is remove the drive chain and see if motor will run...If it is humming then the circuit shuts power off to motor to protect windings..Maybe due to a bad or misaligned gear. Something along the drive chain area may be binding.....Im not there i can only give you common occurances it is up to you to trouble shoot ...Bob

Bob,

I removed and re-installed the drive chain.

Door goes down as long as I hold down the button. If I let off the button it does not stop, it reverses.

Dick

Bob thought the motor was bad or the chain was misaligned/binding, they weren't.

My last question to Bob " Door goes down as long as I hold down the button. If I let off the button it does not stop, it reverses." he never answered this reply/question.

I ask that same question to a garage door company a they said it is the safety reverse system, so I am going to go with that answer.

Thanks

When we first started you said the chain was loose on one end that the sprocket was under pressure...You replied that you readjusted the sprocket and now it works...So now the motor is spinning not humming and frozen up...Your second problem was the door goes down and will reverse once the button is let off....I was not able to get back to you right away with your second question.....I apologize....By not being there infront of opener and not actually looking at the opener..there could have been a fe varations..the limit switch...Door sensor position...Etc....Glad you have it fixed...

You did not timely respond to my last question, a garage door company did.

Thanks for trying.

No Problem...Just replying to your statement ...not true..(Bob thought the motor was bad or the chain was misaligned/binding, they weren't.)...Have a good day
Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your  Appl Pal