Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.
10734586

I have a Kenmore 70 series electric Dryer. It takes 1.5

I have a Kenmore 70 series electric Dryer. It takes > 1.5 hrs for a load of towels or pants to dry. I am not sure how to distinguish if it is the heater, thermostat or poor ventalation. I have pulled the back cover and can watch the heater coils cycle. They appear to heat evenly and cycle on and off.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.
Hello!
Please try running the COMPLETE cycle with the rear vent DISCONNECTED from the dryer and see if the dry times improve. If they do, then this is a problem with the vent system in your house and you must clean the vent COMPLETELY, al the way to the outside. If not, and the heater itself is ok and you can confirm that the dryer runs for the complete duration of the cycle, take a temperature reaading at the EXHAUST of the dryer itself on a high-heat , timed cycle. The temp at the exhaust should be roughly 145-170 degrees when the heateer is ON and roughly 110-130 degrees when the heater id OFF. If the temps never get to the 145-170 degree mark, check the voltage to the element and if 240VAC at the two supply terminals with ONE supply wire removed, I would suspect an operating thermostat. This can ALSO be checked with a meter and a thermometer by hooking the meter up to the operating thermostat during the test run set on voltage for a 240VAC reading. You are looking for 0VAC when the thermostat is closed (conducting) and 240VAC when its open. COmpare these readings to the associated temps and you can isolate OR rule out a problem with the thermostat..Please let me know if you need more information.