Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Whirlpool refrigerator, Model # ED2VHGXMQ00. The refrigerator

I have a Whirlpool refrigerator, Model # XXXXX The refrigerator suddenly stopped working and all the ice melted and the air that blows from the freezer compartment is warm. The unit is just shy of 6 years and the only problem that I ever had was a strange smell coming from the back about a year ago which went away gradually after I did a thorough cleaning of the coils, the reservoir pan and anything that I could find.
After the unit failed I opened the back of the refrigerator and started to clean the coils again when I noticed that the compressor was very hot, I could not keep my hand on it for more than 4 or 5 seconds even thought the fan next to it was working perfectly, I also noticed a sticky substance on the floor but I an not sure if it came from any of the components. Does that mean that the compressor has gone bad or does the freon needs to be refilled?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
do you hear any clicking or buzzing comming from the compressor about every 5 minutes?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I do hear a clicking sound coming from the refrigerator sometimes more than once every 5 minutes
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.

sounds like you need a relay in this.( compressor relay )

Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=

you need this kit, there are diffirent relays put on these, the kit covers all of them , you only use the one thats on yours., it located on the side of the compressor, heres where you can get it, http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-ED2VHGXMQ00-%3d%3di1177466&PartID=1177466 thanks Bryan

Edited by a1speedyappliance on 10/7/2009 at 11:37 AM EST
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I bought the kit that you suggested and I changed it last night and the refrigerator works like a charm now so many thanks to you.
How do I find the GREEN ACCEPT button, I would certainly like you to get paid for your advice.
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
I'm so glad to hear its all set, you should see the accept button now, thanks and feedback is welcomed, Bryan