Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

i have a kenmore model 88042 and all the lights are on and

Customer Question
will not dry cloths how...
i have a kenmore model 88042 and all the lights are on and will not dry cloths how do i fix this.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
10/5/2009
Appliance Technician: Bryan, Home Appliance Technician replied 8 years ago
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
there should be more to this model # XXXXX you open the door and check these places,?
LOCATE YOUR DRYER MODEL NUMBER
First, here are some tips to help with your model number:
  1. Don't enter a dash if it's not required.
  2. Don't enter any blank spaces.
  3. Be sure a zero is not the letter O.
  4. Be sure a lower case L is not a 1.
  5. Kenmore models always have a 3 digit prefix such as 110 or 665, then a period, then more numbers.
Next, look for an aluminum tag--or a silver or white adhesive label. The model number may be printed or stamped onto the tag and it may be written in two different type sizes or styles.

You might find the tag in one of these places:

Dryer only, gas or electric

• Inside the door, on the cabinet frame
  • On the back of the unit, near the top
  • On the side of the unit, near the front

Washer-dryer combination unit

• Inside the dryer door, on the door frame
  • On top of the dryer
  • On the side of the washer, near the bottom, front
  • Under the washer lid
thanks Bryan
model number 417.800042700
ok thats a good #, can you tell me when you run this and open the door mid ccyle is it hot at all inside?
not its not hot at all it runs for a bit the it turns off and then all the lights on the outside are on i have cleaned out the lent capture and unplugged it to not avail.
ok you either have a bad heating element or a bad thermostat, my guess however is the element. Part 407685the problem is these are a pain to replace . its behind the drum and you need to take the front of the machine off and remove the drum to get to this, these elements burn out all the time whereas the thermostats are rare, either way you wil need to take the drum out to see, when you get it out you can visually check for a break in the element. thats probably what you will find. click this blue link to get all the diagrams to help you, http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/getModel!retrieve.pd?pop=true&modelNumber=417.80032990 thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician