Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

here it is I have an admiral dryer model #LNC7764A71 and it

Customer Question

here it is: I have an admiral dryer model #LNC7764A71 and it quit. BUT. the timer, and the heating element are still operating. ive open the dryer, plugged it in, turned it on, and the heating element fires up, but no tumble.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
yuo must have a broken belt in this . Part 529597do you hear the motor running? let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no. the motor is not running at all. i have torn the dryer completely apart, tested voltage to the motor, and traced down as many possible causes i could. the heater element is also engaging when the dryer door is open
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok the heater is probably shorted to the heater casing, this happens allot. one side of the heater has power at all times and the other side comes from the motor when its running you need to remove the heater and see if its grounded to the metal casing. also you probably need a thermal fuse in this Part 3344this is difficult to see though its on the side of the heater casing in the back top behind the drum. check these and let me know , thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
how will i know if the heater is grounded to the case? and is there a way to test the thermal fuse using a multitester?
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
yes you can test the thermal fuse by putting the meter on ohms and seeing if you get continuity across the two spades. the way to tell if the heater is grounded out is to take the two wires off the heater and test for cotinuity between one of the spades on the heater and ground if you get continuity then its grounded out. let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
and if i have continuity across the fuse spades its good, yes?
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
yes it is, let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the thermal fuse does not have continuity. now, i test the heater in the same fashion, setting the meter on ohms and grounding one probe and using the other on one spade?
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
yes , and you need to change the thermal fue , this comes in a kit of three with instuctions you only use two out of the three ones for gas dryer you dont need that one. heres where you can order these. http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-LNC7764A71-%3d%3di3344&PartID=3344 click the blue link. good jobe you have half the problem solved. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok. the heater appeared to be grounded i had continuity at one of the spades it looks as if the mount screw was loose and causing the heater to rattle against the case. i bought this used, so no suprise there. tightened the mount set one probe to ground and rechecked; no continuity at either spade
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
alright that means all you need to do is replace the thermal fuse setup and you should be good to go, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks for your help!! you just saved me from buying a new dryer
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
no problem , you did great , want a job? thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I may, times are tough! :) fortunately, we have a great appliance parts house here in wichita, so monday ill catch up on my laundry. Thanks again!!
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
your welcome, have a nice weekend , Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hello bryan. I having trouble again with my admiral dryer model LNC7764A71. i replaced the thermal fuse as directed and now it runs for a bit then shuts down, then after a few minutes i can restart it. Wrong Part?
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
I'm sorry to hear that. do you hear a click comming from the motor and the you can restart it? if so the motor is overheating and shutting down, then the thermal overload cools off and allows you to restart it. this could be a bad motor unfortunatly, let me know thanks Bryan