built1950
built1950, Handyman
Experience:  Appliance Installer
19717507

Why doesnt my microwave cook when the automatic fan is on

Why doesn't my microwave cook when the automatic fan is on?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  built1950 replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.
Does it cook any other time? Does the panel and turntable work but the food doesn't cook?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes to both questions. It cooks after the fan goes off. and yes to your second question.
Expert:  built1950 replied 7 years ago.
Let me make sure I have this straight.
If the fan is on it will not cook.
If the turntable is on it will not cook.
If the fan and turntable are not on it WILL cook?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If the fan is on it will not cook. If the fan is not on it will cook. If the turntable is on when the fan is on it will not cook. If the turntable is on when the fan is off it will cook.
Expert:  built1950 replied 7 years ago.
OK
Sounds like there is a fault in the control board. If you are up to the task You can find your part and a breakdown of the unit at:

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/partsearch/model.aspx?model_id=5206066

Please note, there is a high voltage capacitor in the unit and one must be carefull to safely discharge it before working on this unit. For this reason we don't recomend this to the average homeowner. You might consider finding a local service tech.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Approximatley how much will it cost for a service tech? Would it be cheaper for me to purchase a new GE microwave?

Expert:  built1950 replied 7 years ago.
The part alone is about $122. plus shipping and handling. And you may pay a service tech from $50 to $100 depending on location. So if your unit is more than three years old you might consider a new one.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am very upset that I have only had this GE microwave for a year and nine months and it has already gone bad. I have never had a microwave to go bad before, and I have had at least three in my life time. I quess apliances aren't made like to use to be made. Do you think that the control board went out because it is over the oven, and if I purchase another one and put it over the oven, the same thing can happen? Do you think that maybe it is a manufactory default, and if I wrote directly to GE they would replace it?
Expert:  built1950 replied 7 years ago.
I have to agree with you about the quality of GE appliances. The best advice I can give is to check out Consumer Reports before any purchase.
If you're beyond the warranty period GE won't be much help, on the other hand, if you're noisy enough they may help you just to be done with it. My brother does this all the time and usually gets a coupon for a discount from them.
If I've been helpful please press the green ACCEPT button, that's how I get credit for helping you.