Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My Whirlpool Dishwasher DUB500XX-3 does not run. I have power

Customer Question
to the switch. I put...
My Whirlpool Dishwasher DUB500XX-3 does not run. I have power to the switch. I put in a new timer. Still nothing. What's up with that?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
9/27/2009
Appliance Technician: Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician replied 8 years ago
Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
What does it do when you start it?
Well, nothing, Tom. It does nothing.
That model# XXXXX not work can you double check it on the inside of the dishwasher?
How 'bout DU8500XX-3?
When you said you have power at the switch do you mean the door lock.
That's right. I have power to the black wire on the right side of the door lock. When I push the handle down, I have power on the lower left hand wire. Of course, I don't know if the power is passing through when the latch is closed. To be honest, I don't understand how the latch closes the circuilt
The latch pushs on the micro switch and closes the contacts inside to allow power through.You may have a bad door lock switch.
Well if that were the case, I'd have no power when I activated the switch by hand, right?
With the switch exposed, I have power on the right side and no power on the left. I push the switch down (the on position), and my meter shows me 115 VAC.
Are you testing across both leads on the switch.
I'm not sure I understand your question. I have 4 male plugs on the switch. With my black lead on the safety ground, I have power to the black wire - top right. When I push the switch down, I have power on the lower left - across the switch. Is that what you're asking?
So it is letting power through to the timer?
That I don't know. Let me take the door apart again, and I'll get back to you
OK
OK, here we go. There are 4 wires to the switch. Those on the right are black and brown. Those on the left are white. With the latch in the closed position, I have power to both the brown and the black wires and the lower white wire. The upper wire only shows a couple of volts. There is some discoloration around the covers of the male terminals on the switch.
This failure gave no warning. The dishwasher worked, and then it didn't.
The problem is with the door lock switch it needs to be replaced.
We are almost done, Tom. Can you tell me how you came to that conclusion?
You said one wire is not getting power so the switch is not letting power through.
Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician