Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Why is Kenmore Elite refrigerator making a loud noise?

Kenmore Elite Refrigerator making awful...

Kenmore Elite Refrigerator making awful noise. Some sort of loud motor noise, maybe coming from the ice maker? It was iced over and I've de-iced the whole thing. The ice maker is turned off but it is still making that noise! Model #(###) ###-####and two years old.

9/16/2009
John, Home Appliance Technician

Can you hear the fan going in the freezer, is this the noise you hear?

Perhaps its a fan? I turned the ice maker off so it shouldn't be that right?

It's extremely loud. Sounds like its going to blow at any moment. LOL

Turn it off and take the freezer panel off to see if its not all iced up. If its iced up the problem is a no defrost problem. Let me know what you find.

I did that and it was iced up. I'm pretty sure I got all the ice out. I turned the fridge off and back on again thinking maybe it would work like a computer. No luck still making loud noise.

So its the fan motor that's the problem, is that the noise your hearing?

I guess its the noise I'm hearing. I don't know much about fridge noises.

Is there a fan close to the ice maker? Sounds like its coming from there.

How do I fix it if its the fan?

Here is the fan motor you have to replace and a breakdown:

http://www.partselect.com/PartDetail.aspx?Inventory=1526073&SourceCode=1

The panel has to come off to get at the fan motor.

Is there a way to turn the fan off until I have the replacement piece? It's really loud and awful!
No not really its what cools the freezer and the fridge it circulates the air.
Is the panel I need to remove inside the freezer or on the back of the fridge?

It should be just behind the ice maker, that panel probably with a plastic shield.

It's going to be a pain in the butt getting that thing off isn't it?

Yes it is a pain. What you should do is order the motor and thaw the fridge out and try it again then replace it when it comes in.

Thanks. I called to buy the part and they said it would take a week to get in!! AGGHHHH I can't believe I have to listen to this noise for a week!! Thanks for your help!

I know sometimes it takes time to resolve the problem with a part. Some times we can fix it on the spot.

Good luck with that

John, Home Appliance Technician