Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have an amana SBDE520S side by side refrigerator electronic

model that just stopped no...
I have an amana SBDE520S side by side refrigerator electronic model that just stopped no light fan or anything. Any idea what it could be? Is there a fuse somewhere I can replace?
9/16/2009
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
well these dont have fuses so thats not the issue, you either have a short or your compessor is drawing not many amps to start and it blows the fuse, did this run at all since you bought it? you may have a bad start relay on the compessor, click here for all the diagrams on your refrigerator, http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/getModel!retrieveModelDetails.pd?modelNumber=SBDE520SW-P1185201WW&productCategoryId=0165000&brandId=1268&modelName=INTERNATIONAL-SIDE-BY-SIDE-REFRIGERATOR/FREEZER check all the wirring in the back near the compressor. I've seen wires get chewed by mice and you may have a bare wire or shorted, let me know ,thanks,Bryan
This has not run at all since i bought it. There is just no one home, no lights nothing, at the moment is just a door stop. Maybe some mice have chewed through wires?

Plugging it in doesn't blow the house fuse , it just doesn't start, nothing goes on. I can leave it plugged in and it does nothing.

Guess it is not likely to be the electronics if nothing is working?

Cheers

Greg

well it seems to be something other than the electronics , the lights should come on even if the electronics had a problem. you need to remove the back cover behind the refrigerator on the bottom and get a good look at the wirring, follow the wire from the wall plug all the way into the back and then check any plugs and wires behind the panel, make sure refrigerator is unplugged. let me know thanks Bryan
Hey Bryan, I checked all the wires like you said and noticed while I was pushing and prodding the wires that the neutral wire from the main power cord was loose in the junction box, so I cleaned the end of it and put it back in and tightened it up again, and would you believe the fridge turns on! Your a genius Bryan ! Although there seems to be no air ( cold or otherwise) flowing out of the vents inside the fresh food fridge section, but the deepfreezer section is cooling. So I went to the control panel between the doors ( on the outside of the fresh food door) and turned the temperature down on the digital panel. But it hasn't made any difference. Do I need to wait longer?
.
Thanks Greg
ok this may take 24 hours to stablize so dont panic about the fresh food section it will cool by tonight, thats great you found the problem. glad I could help, I've got a head cold so havent been staying at the computer, well wishes and you can come back if you need more help, just leave the question open after you accept and you can come back at no aditional charge, thanks , Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Hi Bryan thanks so much, that is to bad you have a head cold , hope you can get some rest and get rid of it. Tthanks again appreciate the offer to come back at no additional charge , your a legend! Cheers Greg
your welcome Greg, have a good day and I will be checking my messages of and on today so feel free to come back if you need, thanks. Bryan
Hi Brian, I hope you are feeling better and your head cold is on the way out. If you are up to it, would you mind mind steering in the right direction with this , I am not in a hurry , so if you prefer to get back to me another day thats up to you.
The fridge is working but not all that cold. The fridge has been running now for 24 hrs and there is still no fan airflow in side the fridge, The fan at the back outside of the fridge is working fine. but the fan inside the freezer section is not working. I took the cover off and checked it out, also it seems to be frosting up as well, the inside fan hasn't worked since I got it going. WOuld it be either the thermostat or the fan motor?

WHat do you think?

Thanks appreciate your help Regards Greg
ok I'm feeling a little better now. thanks. anyway my experiance with these refrigerators is it probably the defrost thermostat, Part 223391this is on the top of the coils and runs bothe the fan and the heater, do you have a volt meter? let me know thanks ,.Bryan
Hi Bryan Glad to hear your feeling better, that's excellent, And thanks for the picture that makes things so much easier knowing what I am looking for. I don't have a volt meter but I will get one tomorrow and get back to you then . Is that ok with you?
sure no problem , sorry for the late reply, had to work late, talk tommorow, thanks Bryan
Hi Bryan, apologies for the delay getting back to you, I now have a volt meter although it is a multimeter and haven't a clue how to use it has , it has a dial in the middle and numbers all around it, so I bought a volt current tester screwdriver as well. which just detects a current. Is that useful? As much as I tried I couldn't actually find a volt meter with the needle dial, without ordering it over the internet.

But the Fridges is cooling great now and no frost so maybe I am expecting air to be blowing when it doesn't? Is there an easy way to test it with the voltage test screwdriver?

Thanks again Greg
well is the fan running now? open the freezer and push the light switch button in and see if the fan starts. if not you need to check the voltage to the fan, read the manual on the meter and put it in a.c. volts push the button in on the light and test for 120 volts to the fan. I guess you could use the screwdriver tester for this also, if you get 120 volts then the fan is bad if not you need to change the thermostat I showed you. let me know thanks,Bryan
Hi Bryan Thats a great test so simple thank you , yes the fan starts when I push the light switch button in. So I guess that is the way it is supposed to be?
correct. I believe all you need to replace in this is the defrost thermostat i showed you above, heres a link to get it, http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-SBDE520S-%3d%3dei223391&PartID=223391 its $41.00, thanks Bryan
Awesome , thanks Bryan, I will do that. The one you repaired is in the studio space, but On another note I have another Amana in the kitchen which is an SGD 521S .... Everything works well except the water dispenser , but the ice maker still works well, so water is getting to the ice maker, but no water is coming out of the spout. DO you know what that may be ? This is the only other minor issue. Would appreciate this one last question, Thank you sincerely
\\\\ Greg

Brian I feel uncomfortable asking you to help more without paying your more. Therefore I would like to pay you some more money, how can I go bout that for you do you take paypal?

wow for some reason this apears to be a 220 volt unit is it? if it is then you probably need a new water valve in thie. Part 140932Part 140932this has two side one for the water in the door and the other for the ice maker, the water side is probably bad. you can puchase this at http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-SGD521S-%3d%3dei140932&PartID=140932 for around $52.00. as far as paying more the only way i know of is if you leave a bonus, I'm not sure how that works on your end though so if you cant dont worry about it, thanks Bryan, P.S. if you want to see if its the valve its in the back I believe on the refrigerator and you can have someone press the water button and if you can feel it buzz but no water then it probably is the valve not opening to let the water thru.

Ok thanks Bryan will leave a bonus. I don't know what the voltage is but could be 220 or 240 as I am in Australia and Our voltage here is 240. Where is the valve located, at the back of the Refrigerator ( top bottom ) ? or at the back of the water dispenser - back of the door?

Thanks Greg

the best way to find the valve is follow the water line from the house into refrigerator and where it connects is the valve, I sure hope someday I can visit Australia, always wanted to! best wishes and thanks, Bryan

Hi Bryan
Found the water valve! and it buzzes when the water dispenser leaver is pressed. I tried to order the part from the repair clinic but they won't ship to Australia. Will have to try searching somewhere else. Would this be the same thing? As they ship internationally..
http://www.pcappliancerepair.com/cgi-bin/detail.cgi?item=12195504&brand=MAC

It is a long way top go to visit Australia, as it is a long way to visit anywhere from Australia. It is a very laid back atmosphere. But something bizarre happened this week here ( and now I have a head cold would you believe from it ), it has never happened before.. I took some shots of it See the shots of sydney and our yard, it was like an alien planet these are not fake these are what it looked like on wednesday when I woke up, the one in normal colours is what it should look like. It was all orange dust blown in from thousands of miles in the the outback...
http://downloads.inhaus.com.au/gregbridges/dust.zip

Regards Greg

man thats wierd, I'll check it out, as far as the valve goes I would see if I could call them and make sure its a 220 volt valve, if it is this may work. thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Thanks Bryan
your welcome have a good day, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician