Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Hi Larry, The coils in my freezer was frosting up and I

Customer Question
Hi Larry, The coils in my...
Hi Larry,

The coils in my freezer was frosting up and I replaced the heater defroster with thermostat assembly. The coils are beginning to frost up again but the freezer is getting very cold. The fans in the freezer is running & so is the compessor fan. The fresh food area is not getting cold. Is it my compressor? I can't hear my compressor?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
9/12/2009
Appliance Technician: Bryan, Home Appliance Technician replied 8 years ago
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
I believe Larry is gone for a vacation, he told me he was going on a cruise, may I be of assistance? Bryan
That would be great!
ok what you need to do is get me the serial # XXXXX maytag refrigerators had a huge recall because of failed compressor relays. I need the serial # XXXXX see if yours is on the recall list. thanks Bryan
Serial number is XXXXX
dont see that one on the recall but I heard they expanded it so i cant be sure. what you need to do next is check the frost pattern again and tell me if they are evenly frosted. how long ago did you plug this back in?
I plugged it back in 2 hours ago. The frosting is thicker from the bottom coil going up. There's frost on the top coil but thinner.
ok it sounds like your compressor is ok, this is normal, two hours though is not enough time for the refrigerator to stablize, this takes about 24 hours, set the controls at factory settings and let this run overnight, I think by morning this will be fine. thanks Bryan

Bryan,

So you're telling me that the fresh food area will cool within 24 hours? I tried to get to my condenser coils but it seems like I have loosen the screw to the refrigerator door, then loosen the screw that hold the bottom grill or cover to the frig? Is this normal?

let me check. this is a strange kickplate. Part 665908Part 665908I'm not really sure but all the ones i've taken off i've never had to take the screw from the door before.? let this run overnight and see if it cools ok, I believe it will. thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Bryan - Thank you for your time. I will accept this answer and wait. Have a great weekend.
ok if this doesnt work get back to me tomorrow I'll be around. thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician