Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Kenmore 110.91250100 washing machine, I am guessing

Customer Question
I have a Kenmore 110.91250100...
I have a Kenmore 110.91250100 washing machine,The cener knob broke off years ago. to get around this problem, I was able to advance the outer indicator wheel portion around by hand to start a wash cycle for each new load. A while back (several months) it failed to spin and drain, but the full cycle would complete with the tub full of wash water. I found that if I left the lid open until it stopped at the spin/drain cycle, I could close the lid at that point and it would spin/drain fine. A few days ago it would not always even work that way and it was not spinning or draining, just making a buzzing or humming sound when it reached the spin/drian cycle. So I advanced the cycle indicator around by hand to a new cycle, then I noticed a burning smell. The washer would not do anything at this point...I unplugged the entire unit from the wall socket. Now when I plugged it back inand now it still humms adn it does not agitate, spin or drain. I was able to turn the agitator by hand about a quater turn but now it will not turn at all, I removed the pump from the motor but no imporvement...
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
9/11/2009
Appliance Technician: Bryan, Home Appliance Technician replied 8 years ago
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
well there isnt much for electronics in this my geuss is your motor is shot, sounds like that from what your telling me. this motor runs around $128.00, Part 769these are good machines all around, they lid switch and the coupling are about the only things that normaly go on these. the only thing that would buzz and smell like electrical burning in this machine is the motor, you can order this @ http://midwayparts.net/midwayparts/zen-cart-v1.3.8a-full-fileset-12112007/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=389248 for $99.00 which is allot cheaper than replacing the machine. heres a great video on how to change the motor if you decide to. this is a whirlpool made machine so the video will at least show you how to open the machine up and get to the motor, well wishes Bryan, link, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmRSwrj-45g
I plugged it back in and now it still humms and it does not agitate, spin or drain. I was able to turn the agitator by hand about a quater turn but now it will not turn at all, I removed the pump from the motor but no imporvement... Does teh agitator beign frozen point to the gear case (transmission) or is that a motor symptom too?
theres one way to find out if the motor is bad, remove it and place it on the floor with the wires still attached and put your foot on it and in the spin cycle try it. if the motor still hums and doesnt start then its bad. replace it, remove the motor the same way you removed the pump only you need to remove the two screws on the clips. let me know, thanks Bryan

I did the test and the motor just hums... could it be the start capacitor on the motor instead of the motor?

I still cannot rotate that agitator by hand so I am wondering if both the motor and gear case may be bad?

well there is a chance that the capacitor is bad but I wouldnt bet on it, the capacitor runs around $28.00 Part 2859 if you can get your hands on one to test it with it wouldnt hurt. otherwise the motor needs to be replaced. thanks Bryan

I have not bypassed the lid closed switch so I don't think the motor would turn. Would it hum in that case? Do I need to short it out to do this motor test?

What about not being able to manually turn the agitator by hand?

Thanks,

Bruce

the brake is engaged thats why you cant turn it by hand. the motor when it turns disengages the brake and then it will spin. you can jump the lid switch but this is a safety and not advised, if the motor is buzzing its getting power through the switch. the agitator is geared in the transmission and it not supposed to be turned from the inside . you can turn the coupling that connects the motor to the transmssion and see if the agitator moves . you have to turn it allot though its geared and turns slowly.
Ok the agitator has freed up now... Sounds like the motor Do you trust the aftermarket motor you mentioned as well as the OEM parts? Are they noisier ?
yes they are just as good and no noisier than the original. probably made by the same company anyway. good luck and well wishes. Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician