Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Just bought a new refrigerator from Sears which dispenses ice.

Customer Question
At age 85, I've never...
Just bought a new refrigerator from Sears which dispenses ice. At age 85, I've never had a dispensing fridge before. No one mentioned that a plumber was necessary to get the dispenser to work.   Isn't this dishonest?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
9/8/2009
Appliance Technician: Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 8 years ago
Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Customer
Most salesmen would assume if a Refigerator has a Icemaker /water drispenser that the cust would know the refrigerator would need to be plumbed to a water supply.
Whrlp Master Tech
When an elderly lone woman buys a refrigerator, is it normal for the salesman to assume she is knowledgeable about all the aspects? I would question this, wouldn't you?
I guess it is differant now days ,What you are saying is almost like I just bought a new car and the salesman did not tell me I hat to put gas in it !!!!
You are obviously a comparatively young technologically skilled male. I guess that's what I encountered when I contracted for the fridge. Ice dispensers have been around for only for the last couple of decades-- gas-powered vehicles since before I was born. It was made obvious to the salesman that I had never owned an ice-dispensing fridge. I found your answer.........snippy is what comes to mind. I will keep your attitude in mind whenever I have to buy an appliance in the future.
<p>I`am 48 years old been working on Appliance since I was 18 . And I did not mean to be SNIPPY !!!I was just using that as an analogy,</p><p>I `m curious , just so I may learn from you!!!!How did you expect the refrigerator to make ice ,if it was not hook up to water?</p>
I was prepared to fill some receptacle inside with water which would then be made into ice cubes coming out the door--far more convenient than the necessity for running water on the ice cube trays, banging them on something to free them and dumping them into a container.

That would work .

I hope once this is hooked up and running it is so much more convenient that you would have ever expected (worry free)

Yesterday, I dumped ice cubes (from trays) into the dispenser's container. I found I could then get them, crushed or otherwise out the door mechanism. So it isn't convenient, but it will do until I hire a plumber which in Nevada City, CA., will cost about $300. I have not changed my mind about the necessity for appliance store salepersons to inform their elderly customers, (particularly widows who don't have the male input), of the extras involved in buying the refrigerator with door dispenser.

what I would recommend is the next time you go to the store you purchased it from ,

And just asked to speak to the store manager, explain your issue , and that nothing was told to you about the water hook up .And they might give you a gift or even a small refund I`m hoping ,but I can not be sure you understand.

I appreciate your suggestion. Yesterday I did just that--went to the store. Unfortunately I didn't ask for the store manager. The only man on the floor at the time was peevish about the matter, replying much the same of you, that I should have known. As we were discussing the problem, a second employee (perhaps the manager?) appeared and asked for an explanation. He was courteous, even sympathetic, agreeing with me that elderly customers should have all the details. However, no offer of a refund or gift.

I will now write Sears' higher-ups. I'm mad as hell and don't want to take it anymore.

well I Was hoping they might have been nicer to you than what it sounds , I guess the cust no longer comes first like it USED to.
Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech