william, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Major Home Appliance Technician Specialist Whirpool Certificate
13954826

Why has Maytag Neptune electric dryer stopped drying?

Customer Question

Why wont Maytag Neptune MDE6700AYW front load dryer (electric) dry? The dryer operates and blows. The air is not warm/hot. I suspect the heater element needs to be replaced.

We tried all the cycle settings on the dryer, same problem. The local repairman can't come for 3 days. I'd like to fix it now. How do I open up the dryer, check the element and replace if necessary?

Category: Appliance
Expert:  william replied 8 years ago.

Front Panel Removal:

1. Disconnect power supply to unit.

2. Remove Top Cover.

3. Remove Console.

4. Remove four screws attaching Front Panel to dryer.

5. Remove two screws in the door area.

6. Pull Front Panel forward and disconnect the Interior Light harness.

7. Lift the Front Panel off the three tabs across the bottom and remove.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Please provide more detail on "Remove Console". Does the console have 4 screws through plastic tabs that I remove?

I removed them, but I am not sure what to do to remove the panel without breaking it. Which way do I pull or lift?

Expert:  william replied 8 years ago.

Did you remove the two screws in the door area?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Yes, I removed the 4 screws above the console. The 4 screws on the front panel, two on the door hinge, 2 on the door clasp (where it closes - opposite side of the hinge). There are not screws left on the front to remove.

The top console is loose at the top. It easily hinges forward about 1 inch. It seems to be attached to the top of the front panel. I have tried to pull up on the front panel but nothing happens. I tried to pry on the side for the front panel to pull it out. It moved a little, but not much progress.

Expert:  william replied 8 years ago.

This is the service manual for your machine and it has pictures too.

http://servicematters.com/maytag_library/docs/16025911.pdf

Refer to page 19.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

This information will help me tremendously!

I went to the services matters website and found a bulletin on the console removal that also helped.

Thanks.