Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Good Morning, We have a 1 1/2 yr old GE Profile Dishwasher

Good Morning, We have a...
Good Morning,
We have a 1 1/2 yr old GE Profile Dishwasher Model # XXXXX which was cleaning great. But now just does not do the job.

Water seems to be working doing the cycle and drying heat seems also fine. But dishes are dirty and have a film on them.

Any ideas on a repair?

Thanks,
9/1/2009
built1950
built1950, Handyman
HiCustomer
Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. To start with these are the common problems to look for:
:
  1. Check the water temperature. Should be 125 to 140 F.

2. Check pump re-circulation., Listen, see if it sounds like it is spraying the water around with enough pressure.

3. Check water level when the fill cycle has completed. Should be just under the heating element. If not, possibly need to replace the water inlet valve.

4. Check the spray arm and pump cover for splits or leaks.

5. Check to make sure dishwasher is draining after each cycle. There should only be a little water in the bottom of the tub.

6. Make sure the dishes are loaded properly, or dishwasher is not overloaded.

7. Possibly try a different detergent. Some liquid-gels will bubble and a pump cannot pump bubbles.

Check each carefully and you may find it's something simple.

Built1950
There might be a problem with draining between the cycles.

There was still water following the wash cycle, level just below the heating element.

Would I need to remove dishwasher to check the drain hose?

TX
Hi again,
First check the screen/filter in the bottom of the tub.

Built1950
I checked the screen, there was minor junk there. But not enough I think to stop the draining.

Just ran a short cycle, drained well. But still film on the glasses and the SS walls of the dishwasher visable.

How would I check for blockage of the automatic soap dispenser and that of the Riness agent?

Thanks
Hi again,
You didn't say whether you did all the checks suggested. What is the water temp? Are you sure there is strong water pressure? Did you look very closely at the arms for hairline cracks? Did you try a load with a different detergent?
There is a fine screen under the course one you can see, you must remove the one to get to the other.
If the soap dispenser is open at the end of the cycles then it is OK. Don't rush, take some time to complete these tasks and you might save yourself a service call.

Built1950
I did check the items you listed, using the "Short Cycle".

This unit has and we've always used the Auto Load, GE recommended Cascade Liq. washing det. and Casade Crystal Clear Rinse Agent.

I removed the screen at the bottom of the wash bin. Check the drain basin and there was no screen visable. Check the drain hose and it's clear. And the cycle did drain this time well. (Draining was not checked before this session however)

I now think prehaps one of the soap dispeners is blocked. But don't see where they come out.

There is a large screen under the lower bin wash jet arm. Looks like I would need to remove the lower arm to check under it. Don't see how to remove the arm.
Do not see any screws to relase it.
TX
Hi again,
An other common problem with this model is the build up of Cascade soap film in the soap dispenser tubing. The more build up the less soap dispensed. Try flushing it with hot water. And what was the water temperature?

Built1950
I used a Bar B-Q Temp gauge and saw 130 deg. temp.

Sounds like flushing the soap disp. would be the need step. How ever the disp. is 3/4 full.

What would the steps be to flush this disp. out. Is there a valve in the dishwasher door that would need to be removed and cleaned?

Tx
Yes, open the door and look around the edge for the screws. Remove and access the parts.

Built1950
Sounds like a good plan. I'll have to start that later. Have to go to a meeting now. Will try later this afternoon.
TX
Anytime. Please don't forget to press the ACCEPT button
built1950
built1950, Handyman
Good Morning,
I have the Front Panel Off and have excess to the detergent pump. Do I have to remove the pump or can I disconnect the hoses some how?
TX
Whatever is more convenient for you. I usually try to save time by doing it in the door.
Guess I was not clear w/ my question. How do I clean out the inside of the pump. Or is it just the hose which needs to be cleaned.
TX
Sometimes it's just the hose, sometimes both so you can do one and test.
Good Afternoon,
I did seemed to find a clog in the neck of the Soap Tank. Do you know how I would remove the tank to clean it out.

Next since the cover is off. How would I check the Jet Dri dispenser?

Thanks
Liquid jet dry is never a problem. To remove the tank , I'd have to look at it. I haven't had to take a GE profile door apart for a long time.
built1950
built1950
built1950, Handyman