Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Kenmore oven temperature control is not consistent

Customer Question
I have a Kenmore Electric...

I have a Kenmore Electric Range (790.9611). The temperature jumps all over the place. We set the temperature for 400F and it will go to 325F one time and 430F the next time. It is not consistently high or low. The thermocouple is not bent and is fully in place in the oven. The range works great. Any suggestions?

Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/1/2009
Appliance Technician: william, Home Appliance Technician replied 8 years ago
william, Home Appliance Technician
thermal coupler you mean the oven senor
I am interested in knowing how to repair the oven and where I can get parts.
first i need to know if the oven sensor is any good or not do you have a meter so we cant test this?
I do have a meter. Is it an ohms test or how can I test it?

ok take the screws out thats holding the sensor in and unclip the connector or the nuts then at room temp which is 72 degrees set your meter to 2000 ohms and you should read 1080 ohms if you dont get that then your sensor is bad

and you can order the part here you can also ohm out the element to if all this checks out then your relays on your board are bad i have to leave for pt back in 1 hr

http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-790.9611-%3d%3di1197392&PartID=1197392

I set ohms meter to 2000 and got a reading of 1087 on the sensor. I assume it is OK. How do I test the element and/or relays on the board?
take the wires off the element and set your meter to 200 ohms tell me what you get
I get a 14.7 when I test the element at 200 ohms.
I got a 16.8 when I tested the lower element and a 14.7 when I tested the upper element (broiler).
that seems to be fine now set this to bake and set your meter to 200 volts or 500 whichever one you have see if your getting 120 to each wire
I read 220V across the lower element.
do one at a time see if you get 110 from each
I need some instruction. Isn't the lower element one continous piece? It comes out the back of the in two locations and I checked the voltage across those two points. The same is for the upper (broiler) element.

you have 2 wires going to the element

I understand. I got 119.0V on one wire and 119.2V on the other wire.

everything is good but i still dont understand why its fluxuating like this if everythings ok

i would change the oven sensor thats the only part that senses the temp

william, Home Appliance Technician
Is there a way to test the "computer" or the part that tells when the preheating is done and/or when the oven is to temperature?

My guess is that when I set it to 375F either the sensor is saying "Yep, it is 375F" when it is really 325F OR the sensor is sending 325F and the "computer" is wrongly saying "OK its is at target temp" when really it shouldn't be saying that until it send 375F.
actually no theres not did you get a fault code with this by chance
No. However, it has an Electronic Oven Control that enables me to adjust the temperature control (calibration) up and down. Not sure if that could be fluctuating on its own.

thats hard to say i never had one do that before set your oven for 350 and put a thermometer in there see how close it gets

I purchased a thermometer that we leave in the oven. We tried to regulate the temperature based on that thermometer, but if it was 20F low and we increased the oven setpoint up 20F, it would go 60F up. It is so unpredictable. I took your advice and purchased the oven temp probe from your link above.
You have been great and I really appreciate your time and knowledge. If you think of any other tests or possible fixes, please let me know.
I purchased and replaced the thermocouple last week. No difference. Two days ago the setpoint was 375F and the oven maintained 400F. Yesterday, the setpoint was 350F and it maintained 300F. Any other suggestions?
Got it answered. No further questions needed. I am going to either replace the Clock/EOC panel or buy a new oven.
ok
I replaced the thermocouple and computer (clock/timer) with parts from Sears Parts. I have now spent approx $250 on a $350 stove and it still doesn't work.The results of the last four times (setpoint/actual): 400/350, 430/320, 350/325, 500/375. Any othersuggestions before I get rid of the stove? Is there a chance I got bad parts or is the lower element kicking it out?
I think you need a new bake element.Thats up to you on how far you wanna go with this you put alot of money into it so far.

I put more money into it than I had hoped, but if I knew a $50 element would do it at this point, it would be worth it to me. It is only a 3 yr old stove so it still looks great. What are the odd that an element would fix it? It seems that it had to be either the thermocouple or the computer since the element is nothing but a wire that heats up when told to.

Ill opt out so another expert can look at it.

I paid another expert on justanswer.com to help out too. I am open to any other suggestions that you may have.
Well i ahd another expert that agreed also that you needed a new bake element.

I did one test before replacing the heating element. I removed the thermocouple from the oven and set the temp to 350F. After 20 minutes, the oven was heated up to 500F. So, I don't believe the heating element is bad.

What are the chances that the new thermocouple that I installed had the exact same problem as the one in the oven? (Note: the results of the last four times (setpoint/actual): 400/350, 430/320, 350/325, 500/375).

What did the other exxpert say? That test you did just showd that you had runaway heat. Was there a fault code after you did that?

The other expert had me test using another external thermometer to insure I didn't have a faulty external oven thermometer that I was using to base my tests. The other thermometer confirmed the results of the first one.

As far as runaway heat. Please note that I removed the thermocouple and had it hanging at the back of the oven so it was reading 70F the whole time. I just wanted to test that the heating element didn't kick oven out or the computer didn't shut oven off off after it hit around 325F. Since neither one happened I am thinking it has something to do with the input. I could test the thermocouple again using a flame torch on it to see if I can get oven to shut off when the oven is actually at 70F.

see what you get on that ohm meter again see what that reads
I got 1090 on ohms test.
Thats ok the only thing you got left is the element and the control board

With the thermocouple in, it basically only heats to 350F no matter what the target. With the thermocouple out and reading 70F the whole time, it heats to 500F+.

How does it work on broil?
It works well. We don't use the broiler that often, but I haven't noticed any issues. Is there a use test that you'd recommend?
Ill be back in a bit im going to church
No problem. Please let me know.

Its got to be the element cause the readings from the control are ok.

I can't believe it is the element. I did a quick test of resistance at different oven temps:

Temp Actual

200F 1620

250F 1703

300F 1781

350F 1850

From what I understand, those are reading high and providing a higher than actual oven temperature to the ERC/Clock. Do you agree?

william, Home Appliance Technician