Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

We have a Kenmore HE2 Plus. We started getting an error code

Customer Question
We have a Kenmore HE2...
We have a Kenmore HE2 Plus. We started getting an error code F20. I cleaned out the screens and made sure the water lines flow freely. I then cleaned out the drain and removed some debris that had collected there. Still the F20 code. I ordered a new inlet valve and installed it today, but still the F20 error code. What else can it be?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
8/24/2009
Appliance Technician: Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech replied 8 years ago
Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
F-20 means
“F20” on display
(Water Inlet Problem—no water or insufficient
water supply) Select PAUSE/CANCEL twice to cancel the cycle
Unplug washer or disconnect power. Check the following: Are water faucets completely turned on?
Are screens at inlet hose connection to washer
clogged? Are water inlet hoses kinked? Are water inlet hoses frozen?
Hope this helps everyone else as it did me, thanks
I've checked all the above and even installed a new inlet valve, still the same error code.
unplug the washer for 30 minutes and give the control time to reset
http://www.scribd.com/doc/7075573/Whirlpool-Kenmore-HE2-Plus-Troubleshooting-Tech-Sheet-8540259
I have the tech sheet. It's inside the lower panel of my washer. I did everything it suggested and nothing worked, that's why I came to you.
the water pressure and drain hose have alot to do with your problem. when a washer fills up all it does is opens the water valve. if there is not enough water pressure or the water is not turned on all the way, the flowmeter ( does exactly what the name says) will tell the washer there is not enough water coming to it while the valve is open. the drain hose is important because if it is to low it will syphon the water out of the machine while it is filling. when that happens the pressure switch will read that the water level is not rising and can cause you problem. if the drain hose is sitting all the way down in the drain pipe this will also happen. if the drain hose and water supply are ok i would start looking at the inlet valve and flowmeter first. i hope you have this resolved soon
sorry to take so long ,,, been trying to find the part number for the flowmeter ,, its not in my list of part numbers ,, take the model number to a local appliance parts dealer and they can get it for you ,,, it fits inline with the water valve
Okay, the water coming in is not an issue. It fills up with water fine and after it's full the code appears and after the code appears, I hit the stop button and it drains quickly. I pulled the drain hose out and the water is pumping out of it pretty good. So you think it might be the flowmeter? I've already replaced the inlet valve. I'm not opposed to replacing another part, I just don't want to buy a new washer one part at a time.
yes i feel the flowmeter is the problem ,,, its restricting the water pressure
Is the flow meter the same as the pressure switch? The tech sheet mentions the pressure switch, but I'll be honest, I have no idea what the pressure switch is. It does not however, mention a flow meter, so my thinking is that could it be the same thing by a different name? I ask because you said you couldn't find a part number for the flow meter. This may help me in locating the part.
the pressure switch is the flowmeter ,, the part number is(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Appliance Tech Larry
Thanks, I'll try that.
your welcome
featured content

Kenmore HE2 washer error codes explained

High-efficiency washing machines are designed to use less water and energy than traditional washers. HE2 washers are in this category, and they display certain code sequences when there are issues present within the machine. The Kenmore HE2 washer’s error codes can indicate a wide range of problems, but some of the most common are explained here. If you attempt to troubleshoot any of the following error codes on your own and the problem isn’t resolved, call a professional for servicing.

Understanding common Kenmore washer error codes

Error F1 – There's a problem keeping the computer and washer from communicating properly. Unplugging and plugging the washer back in after one minute might correct this issue.

Error F11 – This indicates a motor control malfunction, potentially because of incorrect voltages. You might be able to remedy this by unplugging the washer and double-checking all the connections.

Error F20 - This indicates that there isn’t enough water flowing into the machine. If you don’t see water in the machine, confirm that the water valves are in the “on” position. If there is water, try pushing the Stop button twice to drain it, then unplug the washer so you can check the hose connections.

Error F21 - This code shows up when there is excessive draining time. Unplug the machine and double check the drain pump, as well as the hose connections.

Error F22 – This is a door lock error. You’ll just need to check the door switch wire and make sure it’s connected properly.

Error F23 - This code indicates a problem with the heater, and means the internal temperature is too low. Double-check the water temperature sensor and the water heater connection.

Error F24 - The water temperature reading isn’t within range. Unplug the machine and check the water temperature sensor, using your owner’s manual as a reference for the correct readings.

Fortunately, most of these error codes indicate problems that you can resolve yourself. If necessary, you can also contact Kenmore customer support at (1-888-536-6673).

Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry