How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Appliance Tech Larry Your Own Question
Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 19183
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Appliance Tech Larry is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have a Kenmore HE2 Plus. We started getting an error code

Resolved Question:

We have a Kenmore HE2 Plus. We started getting an error code F20. I cleaned out the screens and made sure the water lines flow freely. I then cleaned out the drain and removed some debris that had collected there. Still the F20 code. I ordered a new inlet valve and installed it today, but still the F20 error code. What else can it be?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 7 years ago.
F-20 means
“F20” on display
(Water Inlet Problem—no water or insufficient
water supply) Select PAUSE/CANCEL twice to cancel the cycle
Unplug washer or disconnect power. Check the following: Are water faucets completely turned on?
Are screens at inlet hose connection to washer
clogged? Are water inlet hoses kinked? Are water inlet hoses frozen?
Hope this helps everyone else as it did me, thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I've checked all the above and even installed a new inlet valve, still the same error code.
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 7 years ago.
unplug the washer for 30 minutes and give the control time to reset
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 7 years ago.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have the tech sheet. It's inside the lower panel of my washer. I did everything it suggested and nothing worked, that's why I came to you.
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 7 years ago.
the water pressure and drain hose have alot to do with your problem. when a washer fills up all it does is opens the water valve. if there is not enough water pressure or the water is not turned on all the way, the flowmeter ( does exactly what the name says) will tell the washer there is not enough water coming to it while the valve is open. the drain hose is important because if it is to low it will syphon the water out of the machine while it is filling. when that happens the pressure switch will read that the water level is not rising and can cause you problem. if the drain hose is sitting all the way down in the drain pipe this will also happen. if the drain hose and water supply are ok i would start looking at the inlet valve and flowmeter first. i hope you have this resolved soon
sorry to take so long ,,, been trying to find the part number for the flowmeter ,, its not in my list of part numbers ,, take the model number to a local appliance parts dealer and they can get it for you ,,, it fits inline with the water valve
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Okay, the water coming in is not an issue. It fills up with water fine and after it's full the code appears and after the code appears, I hit the stop button and it drains quickly. I pulled the drain hose out and the water is pumping out of it pretty good. So you think it might be the flowmeter? I've already replaced the inlet valve. I'm not opposed to replacing another part, I just don't want to buy a new washer one part at a time.
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 7 years ago.
yes i feel the flowmeter is the problem ,,, its restricting the water pressure
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is the flow meter the same as the pressure switch? The tech sheet mentions the pressure switch, but I'll be honest, I have no idea what the pressure switch is. It does not however, mention a flow meter, so my thinking is that could it be the same thing by a different name? I ask because you said you couldn't find a part number for the flow meter. This may help me in locating the part.
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 7 years ago.
the pressure switch is the flowmeter ,, the part number is(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Appliance Tech Larry and 2 other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks, I'll try that.
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 7 years ago.
your welcome