Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My oven is not working on fan forced mode but will work on

Customer Question
"Bake" mode. The fan...
My oven is not working on fan forced mode but will work on "Bake" mode. The fan is going but no heat. What is wrong?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
8/15/2009
Appliance Technician: Techdesk, Field Service Engineer replied 8 years ago
Techdesk
Techdesk, Field Service Engineer

Hiya,

Can you post the make and model of the appliance please?

Thanks

Unfortunately I can't tell you what model it is because it was in the house when we bought the house, and there wasn't a manual with it. It's a Fisher & Paykel under bench oven (not double) and it has a dial with all the different settings, i.e. bake, fan bake, fan forced, grill, et cetera. It has an electronic clock and has the capacity to auto cook. Does that help you at all?

Hiya,

OK, thanks for that.

Unfortunately without the model number I can't give specific instruction or part numbers.

I can, however, advise you that the most likely cause of this fault is a failure of the circular element.

Isolate the power to the appliance before working on it.

Inside the oven, take out the rear panel, this is held in place by a few screws (normally).

This will reveal the element and the fan.

If the element is obviously damaged, obtain a replacement first.

Take the screws holding the element in place out and carefully bring the element and wiring into the oven cavity. Swap the wires onto the new element and fit it in place.

Refit the cover, restore the power, set the clock if necessary and try the oven again. You should now have heat.

If the element isn't obviously blown you'll need to take it out and test it with a multimeter to check if it has failed (if you don't have access to a multimeter you won't be able to test the element).

If the element isn't screwed from inside, take the oven out of the housing, take the panels off and you'll find securing nuts on the rear of the element. Take these off and it will release the element.

Hope this helps

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks

Techdesk
Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Thanks. I'll let you know but I think I'll be getting an electrician in!

Hiya,

Good luck with it.

Given the description you provided then it is the most likely fault with the appliance.

It's a straight forward repair.

Thank you for the payment, it is appreciated.

Thanks

Techdesk
Techdesk
Techdesk, Field Service Engineer