Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

The upper arm on my dishwasher does not rotate. There appears

Customer Question
The upper arm on my...
The upper arm on my dishwasher does not rotate. There appears to be water coming out the jets and and I have inspected the arm which appears clear and free of any obstructions...I put the arm in at 3 and 9 but it does not move? Any do it yourself suggestions? I am a woman on mu own and have a difficult time paying for this type of thing...

Thank you
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Appliance
8/8/2009
Appliance Technician: John, Home Appliance Technician replied 8 years ago
John, Home Appliance Technician

Hi thanks for the question.

Send me the make & model # XXXXX I will look at it.

It's a Kenmore ultra wash and I have the manual but it is for many models....
Where would I find it on the unit?
Open the door it should be on the side of the tub
Yes I have found it. It is about 7 years old and the model number is XXXXX

Hi That d/w is made by Frigidaire.

What the problem is the wash impeller has broken from the motor shaft .

So the impeller cant keep up to the motor speed.But with that model you have to replace the complete motor and pump .And its not worth the repair.

Sorry I wish I had better news.

I am referring to the top arm, not the bottom arm which spins fine. Are we on the same page???

http://www.partstap.com/partsearch/model.aspx?model_id=442162

Sorry . There is a spray arm seal that seals the spray arm from the hose hooking up to the spray arm.If its worn the water wont all go to the arm.

Ok, but I have run the unit and quickly open the door to see the water coming out from the upper arm but the arm is not spinning. However, it sounds like the seal my be preventing the adequate amount of pressure to cause the arm to spin. If I am correct the arm spin from water pressure.....? If it is the seal that you are suggesting that does not allow a tight enough seal to allow for adequate pressure, is this an easy fix? Worth calling a service company? Your last note suggested the d/w wasn't worth the cost of repair???
I was working on three at the same time I got yours mixed up. It is worth the repair .If the seal wont allow all the water to the arm it wont have enough water pressure to turn the arm.
where is the seal? and is this something I can do myself?
Yes you can do it yourself. Push the arm up and you will see a plastic round clip it snaps off then the spray arm will drop to reveal the seal.
I cannot try this now...but as I recall there were screws and the arm was attached to the bottom of the upper rack by clips....do I need to order this seal ? or is it something I can get (like a washer) at a hardware store?
When you push the rack in the white piece clips in to the other plastic piece its the seal in that white piece.You will have to pull the rack out to replace the seal.And you have to get it from an appliance parts store.
John, Home Appliance Technician
John, Home Appliance Technician