John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Kitchenaid dishwasher stopped working a little over half way

Customer Question

Kitchenaid dishwasher stopped working a little over half way through the cycle. Checked curcuit breaker - o.k. Checked hot water feed - o.k. No leakage. Any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer,
Myself and the other Experts are anxious to help you, If I could please have the make and model number of the appliance that you have posted your question about? Along with any other info that you may think is important that you did not list in your original post to us. I will be more then happy to assist you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

just found owner's manual. Can't find model # XXXXX the dishwasher, but the front of the manual says KUD124SE or KUDM24SE Water hasn't drained out, none of the control buttons work. It started up as usual.

and dishwasher will now not work at all is this correct?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes

you have a open thermal fuse, it is caused by one of three things.

#1 in comming water temp over 145 degrees

#2 water being heated to high ,whith would be a bad thermistor

#3 loose wire connections in fuse itself (loose connections create heat which will cause fuse to get hot .

Do you have a volt- ohm meter so we can open door and check the fuse ?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The water temp is under 145 and I have a volt meter
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
already removed two lower panels, do I have to take the actual door off?
ok now open door take top four screws off door should be one each side outer two center close to open in center of door then about four inches from top on sides remove then also , console should now be loose.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ok - door panel is off

you should see the control on the top left of control you will see a litle white fuse that has two wires on it

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/getSubComp.pd?modelNumber =KUDI24SEAL1&productCategoryId=0130000&brandId=0593&modelName=UNDER-COUNTER-DISHWASHER&diagramPageId=00003&componentDescription=DOOR%20AND%20LATCH&documentId=10047145&backToLink=Return%20to%20Sub%20Components%20list

control is #19 fuse #22

unplug dishwasher and take a small wire ,or put some electrical tape on a paper clip jump those two wires togeather(by passing fuse) and then close door to see if dishwasher goes on

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the panel that has 19 and 22 is covered in heavy black plastic - not sure how to remove it.
it should just snap off sort of kitty -corner to each other
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
plastic off, getting ready to jump wires

ok

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
tried what you suggested, dishwasher did not come on
and door was closed?