Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 years experience
14207197

My Kenmore 80 series washer is filling with water but will

My Kenmore 80 series washer is filling with water but will do nothing else. It is approximately 8 years old, and is relatively heavily used (about 2 loads per day). Does it make sense to have a repairman come out or should I look into purchasing a new more energy efficient washer? Also are rebates in effect?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Johnston replied 8 years ago.
Does it do anything when it is suppose to wash any sounds?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No, it does nothing. I have tried to put it on several different cycles, and even just to have it spin. It will only fill.
So the motor does not start?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No, the motor does not start
Well you either have a bad timer or the motor start capacitor is bad or possibly it is just a loose connection.To have a tech look at it and repair it you should be in the 250 dollar range.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Based on the age of the washer and it's usage would you think that a repaiur of that cost makes sense? I know that you can't guarantee anything, just trying to make a good decision.
You have a good machine you have to take into account how much money have you put in it.If this is the first repair it is worth it.